henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pulled my sugar snaps today and picked off the last of the pods for next years seeds. Found a few still good to eat, so had breakfast out in the garden. My gd helped hunt the pods with me.

I got my soaker hoses out today. Finished putting them out by lunch, but it was a sweaty chore. It got to 90* today with heat index of 99*.

Noticed a butt load of green beans on the vines. Should start picking soon.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This time of year (it's getting really hot) working outside in the rain is a welcome respite from the heat. I like pulling weeds in the rain...it's cooler and they come out of the ground so much better.

pulling weeds is something i rarely want to do as that means bending over and disturbing the soil. we have a few stirrup hoes which get used frequently enough that there aren't all that many weeds that we have to bend over to pull. saves a lot of time with as many gardens as we have.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do use a stirrup hoe and love it when the ground is dry. It doesn't seem to work so well in mud, lol. Also, Spiny Pigweed (which is the bane of my existence) grows back even thicker (multi-stemmed) when I cut it down as opposed to pulling it up. Hopefully, I will go no-till from now on and won't have such a problem with it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
walked around. More of the various squash have sprouted -- and more to come. Tomato transplants are standing tall. I'm assembling whatever I need to stake them later this week. Scrounging all my stashes!

Have my flamer ready to use on piles of dead, raked roots and along outer edges of plowed area. Faster, I hope, tan mow. Hot now, so rehydrating.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dug up a bunch of volunteer black oil sunflowers and potted them up. The plan (oops, Murphy loves that word! Make it the Estimated Agenda) is to plant a thick row of them along the south wall of the house to provide some cooling shade later in the summer. We dug a trench where we want them to go- the soil is much nicer than I thought it would be. I want to line the trench with some 1/2 mesh fencing to protect from the gophers that are moving in, so I need to go to Coastal later to pick some up. I figure 2 10' rolls of the 2 foot tall stuff should do it; we have a small amount of the same that can be attached to the ends. The house is only 22' long along that wall. While digging, we discovered that the peach tree we thought had died is coming back from below the graft. DH wants to leave it to see if we get something edible. Anyone know what they usually use as root stock for peaches?

Now that most of the volunteer sunflowers are out of the beds, I can start amending the soil in those beds and transplant some seedlings. I've got cabbages (green and red), broccoli, chard, collards, one lone tuscan kale and one lone cauliflower. The nursery didn't have the varieties I wanted (I prefer Tuscan kale) so... the cauliflower is an experiment- it's supposed to be a LOT more resistant to adverse temperature changes. I was hoping to have several of them but both they and the kale seedling succumbed to damping off in spite of my best efforts.

I dug up a horseradish that had decided to root in my greenhouse and tried planting it in a pot. It has a leaf now! So now I have to decide where to put it so it doesn't take over. I also will probably be fighting it in the greenhouse until the Second Coming, lol.

I also still have the gooseberry, the aronias, and the hop vine still to plant. It suddenly decided to get warm here- after temps in the 50's and 60's and nights in the 30's we are suddenly looking at mid to high 80's daytime, and in the 40's at night. I've got flowers on my tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse already. Trying to decide when to put them out.
Tradition here swings between the 1st and the 15th of June.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dug up a bunch of volunteer black oil sunflowers and potted them up. The plan (oops, Murphy loves that word! Make it the Estimated Agenda) is to plant a thick row of them along the south wall of the house to provide some cooling shade later in the summer. We dug a trench where we want them to go- the soil is much nicer than I thought it would be. I want to line the trench with some 1/2 mesh fencing to protect from the gophers that are moving in, so I need to go to Coastal later to pick some up. I figure 2 10' rolls of the 2 foot tall stuff should do it; we have a small amount of the same that can be attached to the ends. The house is only 22' long along that wall. While digging, we discovered that the peach tree we thought had died is coming back from below the graft. DH wants to leave it to see if we get something edible. Anyone know what they usually use as root stock for peaches?

Now that most of the volunteer sunflowers are out of the beds, I can start amending the soil in those beds and transplant some seedlings. I've got cabbages (green and red), broccoli, chard, collards, one lone tuscan kale and one lone cauliflower. The nursery didn't have the varieties I wanted (I prefer Tuscan kale) so... the cauliflower is an experiment- it's supposed to be a LOT more resistant to adverse temperature changes. I was hoping to have several of them but both they and the kale seedling succumbed to damping off in spite of my best efforts.

I dug up a horseradish that had decided to root in my greenhouse and tried planting it in a pot. It has a leaf now! So now I have to decide where to put it so it doesn't take over. I also will probably be fighting it in the greenhouse until the Second Coming, lol.

I also still have the gooseberry, the aronias, and the hop vine still to plant. It suddenly decided to get warm here- after temps in the 50's and 60's and nights in the 30's we are suddenly looking at mid to high 80's daytime, and in the 40's at night. I've got flowers on my tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse already. Trying to decide when to put them out.
Tradition here swings between the 1st and the 15th of June.

You've been busy! I also find myself taking the time to salvage seedlings of this and that... when it would be SO MUCH FASTER to just plow through, and get the job done. I planted some horseradish in the 2 back corners of my garden a few days ago. I've never grown it... so... we'll see how invasive it gets. Didn't appear to be too bad in my friend's yard (she gave me the roots). As for the second coming... It may be a lot closer than we think, so I think your Horseradish will be ok!

Today, I finished flipping the soil/last year's garden debris (in process of composting) in one of the new raised beds. Planted it to corn, with room for 2 hills of zucchini. Planted some carrot and beet seed tape (freebies I got last fall when I was in the right place at the right time.) Sugar snaps and swiss chard are sprouting. Strawberries are blooming. Started sprouting the Fortex (bean) seeds, and rifled through the rest of my seeds, planning what to plant.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We got some much needed ran this morning. Right at 1 inch. My garden was happy.

Tied up my tomatoes today. Noticed a bunch of babies on the vines. I can't wait for a fresh tomato.

Pulled a few more onions that had fallen over. My onions did really well this year. I have a few going to seed that I plan on saving for next year.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Green beans are up fairly well. Still no corn. Plants are growing though! Still too wet to work and fertilize.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do use a stirrup hoe and love it when the ground is dry. It doesn't seem to work so well in mud, lol. Also, Spiny Pigweed (which is the bane of my existence) grows back even thicker (multi-stemmed) when I cut it down as opposed to pulling it up. Hopefully, I will go no-till from now on and won't have such a problem with it.

not being in a warm climate i'm not sure that grows up here. we do have amaranths that will try to grow here, but i chop them off as soon as i see them. like you say they are hard to remove once they get bigger.

the trick with the stirrup hoe and mud is to just slice right along the surface and not even go down into the mud much at all. once it dries back to harder crusty clay then i skim along the surface. i try to disturb the soil as little as possible.

Latest posts