What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My experience with a rented plot, many (!) years ago was good. The adjacent gardeners were friendly and considerate. Weekends found several working their plots. Nice to see diversity and learn. Always pack your folding chair when you go and a clamp on umbrella might be good too. 😊

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just a little 10×20 plot. The section I am in has 8 plots per row. I do have a tiller, but I will just work it by hand
I wouldn't underestimate a 10 x 20. Back then, I fed many of my children, my wife and I and still had stuff we gave away, out of a 15 x 30 foot garden. We had that garden running early spring to late fall. I want to believe this is why my now adult children like to garden. There's simply no taste comparison to fresh from the garden.

Eat what you can, can what you can't, you'll be glad you did.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been two days since I re-sowed green beans, no spouts yet. I'm going to wait 1 week max then see if I can find more seeds to sow. 80% germination rate, means to me, that 8 out of every 10 seeds sowed should sprout, am I wrong?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's been two days since I re-sowed green beans, no spouts yet. I'm going to wait 1 week max then see if I can find more seeds to sow. 80% germination rate, means to me, that 8 out of every 10 seeds sowed should sprout, am I wrong?

nope not wrong, they should be sprouting! what kind are they? I have both bush and pole beans up--ugh I hate when something doesn't produce.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A few pics of the easiest garden ever. This is the area that was formerly my pig pen. I now call it my "If It" garden. (if it grows it grows - if it doesn't it doesn't) This garden does NOT in any way represent a lot of hard work, lol. I started with a totally bare former pig pen. I didn't till. I didn't row and I don't really weed. At most I took a hoe and scraped up a few hills. It is mostly comprised of sweet potatoes, pumpkins, green beans growing on a fence (in another area) and some winter squash. The winter squash is the only hybrid I'm growing - called Argonaut. (I have heirloom squash in other garden areas - a long way from this one) I haven't grown Argonaut in years, but it produces huge squash - up to 25 - 30lbs of tasty, long keeping squash. There are a few volunteers in there too in the form of a couple of corn stalks and a few tomatoes.

If it grows - and if/when it's done - I'll turn the goats and pig back in there for clean-up.

1653586781046.png

1653587267432.png

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I would think you should get 8/10 of those planted then. And you aren't getting any? How has the weather been since the rain? Is it fair to say that maybe they need to warm up a bit? That is all I got. 🤷‍♀️
Try germination in a damp paper towel as a test?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I would think you should get 8/10 of those planted then. And you aren't getting any? How has the weather been since the rain? Is it fair to say that maybe they need to warm up a bit? That is all I got. 🤷‍♀️

Yes it was a wet spring no doubt. The first planting we got 8 total plants that came up out of 2 50 foot rows. Only thing I can figure is the seeds rotted in the ground. So that's why I tilled and re-sowed the two rows again. I really like contender green beans better than blue lake. But supplies were what they were when I bought them. Like I said I'm giving this second sowing 1 week. If they don't sprout by then, I'll have try and find some green been seeds to sow.

Just checked the green bean seeds. They are puffed up, so most definitely hydrated but no sign of life yet.
IMG_20220526_164618736_HDR.jpg

I went through my seed stash box. I have green bean seeds that I saved from 2014 and 2018 harvests.I highly doubt the 2014 seeds are viable. But I'll put a few from harvest in a wet paper towel and see. I don't think I have enough of my own saved seeds to do 2 50 foot rows between the two zip lock bags even, if they are viable. 🤔

Looks like I need to go find some seeds on line just in case. I really would enjoy green beans this year. Now that I got the garden fenced in and rabbit proofed.

I don't ever recall having such problem with green beans. Green beans are like one of the most reliable garden vegetables there are.

Last edited:

Latest posts