What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nope not wrong, they should be sprouting! what kind are they? I have both bush and pole beans up--ugh I hate when something doesn't produce.

how the seeds have been treated in storage is important. in a controlled environment like an air-conditioned house we've had few issues with most bean seeds lasting four years. however, that said, things can vary.

store bought bean seeds, you're pretty much up to the mercy of the store owners, if they put the seeds near a window or if they don't run the AC that much or many other things like where they were stored before they were put out on the racks, or the truck driver parked the rig in the sun for days at a time on the way to the store. there's just way too many variables...

the best conditions for seeds are after they have been completely dried to put them in an airtight container and then freeze them as cold as you can and then kept as stable as possible. so far i do not have any such space for my own bean seed collection and that means that every so many years the seeds need to be regrown to refresh them.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
things should be warm enough by now here that i can plant what i have left to get done so the next few weeks are going to be very busy - working around whatever rains that come along. have to get the last garden finished weeded first and then get planting like crazy. onions, tomatoes and peppers go in first, any empty spaces left get filled in with beans and squash.

worms and worm compost happen in the Annual Running of the Worms as i like to think of it as. :) this will be the 11th run. the buckets are never light and it isn't easy to get done but they help so much in what they provide.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh!! Whole thing???? Definitely need that tiller! :lol: :lol:

Today, I pulled weeds along a fence edge..big stuff but, wet soil made it easy. Waiting for tractor use so dug holes to transplant squash & zucs. Dug the holes....sprinkles... dug one squash and as replanting, downpour. Soaked. Inside, changed, dried. It stops. Trying again in a few. I only have 17 more to move...🤣. If I accomplish that I'll call it good! Taking onion sets with, will put some in tomato row. 😊. Better grab that bucket of goat barn gold on way there...squash feed. Tomato holes got some worked in when I did them, plus some Epsom salt. 👍

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My garden has been behind schedule so I’ve decided (by default) the garden expansion will be a winter garden this year. I planned to dig today, but it’s stormy and windy outside so I’m going to stay inside. Ahh well, guess I’ll clean some, make horchata (found a recipe to try), and possibly can up some apples. I start school back on Tuesday and really want to make the most of this last bit of school vacation lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well well, would you looky there. Green Beans showing some signs of life. 3 in 4 is 75% germination rate, I do believe.
IMG_20220527_123923144_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Patience. :old :celebrate their schedule, not yours. I believe you'll get BEANS!! ;)
I suspect these blue lake beans are finicky about moisture. Just a guess... First sowing probably rotted.

I do believe some of my cabbages are going to head. I would have liked to have got them out sooner but was way too wet. I left one double going to pull it cut it up to put on salad for supper soon.
IMG_20220527_123612915_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸