What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Friend of mine had one bounce off and hit him in the head. He needed stitches. Got to be careful with those

And after how many acres of fencing 10 ft at a time, with no incidents? It just had to be in the garden where it happened. My head is fine, just a big bump is all. You rae so right... it's no joke, be careful with a t-post setter.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bought a new "lawn mower". As a bonus I can throw a black cloak on and freak people out thinking Death is cutting the tall grass before coming for them.

We'll see how well I do using the scythe. It should work really well in the spots that have standing water latest. The grass there always gets towards 6 feet before I can run the mower over it.
Even better... is when using one you really need a whetstone in your back pocket. Stop every so often and sharpen the blade.

The key is to get in the rhythm...

and nope, i haven't done it, but i have watched it done.

These popped up in the garden overnight.
View attachment 19032

Huh... those look like.... (blanking... on name) but as if they are about to pop up taller with stalks...

???

Do you know what those are? I love mushroom harvesting.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even better... is when using one you really need a whetstone in your back pocket. Stop every so often and sharpen the blade.

The key is to get in the rhythm...

and nope, i haven't done it, but i have watched it done.

Huh... those look like.... (blanking... on name) but as if they are about to pop up taller with stalks...

???

Do you know what those are? I love mushroom harvesting.

I have a decent whetstone coming Tuesday. All the other ones we have are too small or super expensive waterstones for doing knives to razor sharpness.

I need to find the peening equipment for the blade as well

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got some of the tomatoes planted and need to get a few more today if the greenhouse is open. a few of the tomato plants weren't growing right and one was missing completely. it was there the other day so i don't know what happened to it. Gremlins perhaps... today/tomorrow will be busy to finish getting the tomatoes planted and then i'll be done for the moment with plant starts and can get back to weeding for a few days.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
3 -- 50' rows of string beans in, 3 -- 50' rows of potatoes in, marked rows to set eggplant and various peppers....5 -- 50' rows for those. Don't want to set out until evening with heat!
Hamered in 2 t-posts and added fence. For cukes. Didn't bust my head up! :hide :lol:
I'll add plants tonight.

Time for lunch! And a break. 👍

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
worked for 1 hr at the farm--weeded and planted 14 trays of cabbage seeds

came home and transplanted 3 zucchini and 2 butter cup squash plants and 2 peppers. Feed/fertilized the raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and rhubarb. Picked some rhubarb and am letting 3-4 spears of asparagus go to seed to build the bed and weeded.

Headed in to make a rhubarb crisp, play a game of Life with the little one and read through my 1973 revised edition of Farm Journal's Freezing and Canning Cookbook--I wonder if these recipes are still legit or not?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
3 -- 50' rows of string beans in, 3 -- 50' rows of potatoes in, marked rows to set eggplant and various peppers....5 -- 50' rows for those. Don't want to set out until evening with heat!
Hamered in 2 t-posts and added fence. For cukes. Didn't bust my head up! :hide :lol:
I'll add plants tonight.

Time for lunch! And a break. 👍

it's nice and breezy out there but still too hot for me so i'm cooling off and doing other things for now. my stomach started to get queasy so that was my sign for a strategic retreat and regroup. i did get all the holes dug that i needed for planting the tomatoes and watered all the plants i've already put in to make sure they won't wilt in this heat, sun and breeze. everything looks ok so far.

i gave the strawberry patch a good drenching yesterday.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
worked for 1 hr at the farm--weeded and planted 14 trays of cabbage seeds

came home and transplanted 3 zucchini and 2 butter cup squash plants and 2 peppers. Feed/fertilized the raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and rhubarb. Picked some rhubarb and am letting 3-4 spears of asparagus go to seed to build the bed and weeded.
That's a lot!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Anyone ever cut/trim onion tops? What do you do with them? Can you freeze them? Use for broth? I just trimmed some so wondering where they should go, compost or freezer
I trim them as seedlings until I transplant them into the garden. It seems to make them less likely to fall over and die. Use them like green onion. :)