What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sounds interesting! Nothing like that here in VA, that I'm aware of. Feb weather might be an issue there. 🤷. But Feb is a good time in sense of "something to do" 😁

I'm waiting for rain today. All the elements are here...just no drops of water. 🤔 Yet.

i know there are some in Kentucky in the spring, but i stick pretty close to home these days so i haven't made it that far.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted 8 cabbage seeds. All 8 germinated. I transplanted the seedlings into 8 individual pots.

I have no idea why this has two heads developing.
20220616_191742-jpg.3151532
😂 I got one with two heads and another on with 3 heads. Only thing I can think it must have been some animal damage. I know in a good cabbage year you can cut the head out of the plant and multiple smaller heads will form. This year is most definitely not a good cabbage year for me.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If they all could be as big as this one. Then I could get some decent onion rings to freeze. The summer solstice is on Tuesday 21 June and then the days begin to shorten. It's so hard growing onions here, I'm like right on the long day line. I've tried so many different kinds. Long day white and yellow sweet spanish plants, started from seed indoors during the winter seem to do the best for me. Store bought sets have never really amounted to much of anything.
Screenshot_20220616-221951~2.png

all-days.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If they all could be as big as this one. Then I could get some decent onion rings to freeze. The summer solstice is on Tuesday 21 June and then the days begin to shorten. It's so hard growing onions here, I'm like right on the long day line. I've tried so many different kinds. Long day white and yellow sweet spanish plants, started from seed indoors during the winter seem to do the best for me. Store bought sets have never really amounted to much of anything.
View attachment 19216

View attachment 19217

you ever bread and deep fry a green onion? :)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My peas have flowers! And one cherry tomato is turning. My potatoes are also flowering, things are moving along. With the summer solstice right around the corner, I am happy to see things moving along.

Attachments

• 20220617_053726.jpg
    20220617_053726.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220617_053721.jpg
    20220617_053721.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220617_053704.jpg
    20220617_053704.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 52

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have no idea why this has two heads developing.
Overachiever? :lol:

With weather I see on TV, over half the USA is going to be in an extreme heat wave...for at least a couple of weeks! Strange weather made gardens hard to start in some places. I'm amazed everytime I see things growing! This heat will be hard to deal with.

CC I think your garden looks great....but, you've always had pretty good results. Just a new location now. Plus you've added your own "fertilizer plants" this year 🤣

I have a week at home beginning today :celebrateHope things go well. Gardens. Animals. Self. It will ne nice but also strange. 🤪. I'm thinking it will happen again 7/4 week. 🤔😁

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wanted to add... You can check your daylight hours here. My max is 14:46:05 on June 21 then the days begin to shorten.

Like I said previously, I'm like right on the long day line. I've tried day neutral onions, they don't do well. Also I have tried many long day varieties. But I found heriloom long day sweet spanish to be the best. I have to grow a onion that triggers bulb formation at around 14 hours and there are only so many 14 hour days (short window) for the onions to bulb. You all that are solidly in long and short day zones are in the sweet spot for onions. Me however... not so much. I guess I'll see how we did, when the tops fall over and the leaf base turns brown.

Also Here is another resource I found useful. Notice there is a stark difference of how you raise sets vs plants from seed. Onions are such a strange plant to grow in the garden.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll have to check what works here...for next year. This year, I'm just happy to have the sets sprouting for green onions. 😊. I'm easy to please....if garden grows! Waiting for tomatoes :drool a wonderful BLT. It's my crave.
I have tried green onions and can't not even to save my life. I can put them in water from the store and they are fine by kitchen window. But can't put them in pot because they die. o_O