What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have tried green onions and can't not even to save my life. I can put them in water from the store and they are fine by kitchen window. But can't put them in pot because they die. o_O

Sounds exactly like how I used to be. I.might be able to give some pointers. On this map what day length are you in?
all-days.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Beautiful morning, dirt under the nails. Going slower than I care for. I guess age is catching up with me. Frequent breaks and plenty of water. Our soil here is mostly clay, so if I don't keep it worked up, it turns crusty hard. Not my property, so can't really do a lot

Attachments

• 20220618_105710.jpg
    20220618_105710.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220618_105739.jpg
    20220618_105739.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 52

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Dreamz @Mini Horses

From this link check how many daylight hours you have at the equinox June 21. Put your zip code in the search bar and click the hourglass button then scroll down to June 21. Reply with the number of hours minutes and seconds.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do not understand equinox or that but here is the screenshot for the 21st June. I am a lost city gal trying to fit in in the country, o_O View attachment 19230
😲 15 hours and 25 minutes of daylight. you should be able to grow some nice onions. Let me go through some of my old notes and I'll give you a couple of links to read through. Will be later this evening before I respond.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it was perfect today. the only thing not so perfect is my body can't do everything i wanted to get done. started out digging to get rid of quack grass for a few hours, then mowed for a while.

finished that and started fixing an erosion gully that is forming at the end of The River Nile. it hasn't rained much here and the soil is all rock hard with mostly clay. my feet are sore, not counting i've still got the booboo foot from smashing my toes on the rock so they ache prettty good right now. at least the bruises are mostly gone. i'm not really looking too closely... at least i can wash them and between my toes and i don't smell gangrene so things are ok and nothing has fallen off either - at least not that i've noticed. :)

this erosion gully will take some time to get redone how i'd like it, but getting started just by fixing up the head cut so it can step down and i can get the lawn mower in there and then to widen and slope the whole thing so there is more room for flow but also to slope it so it can all be mowed. right now i have some chunks of sod to pin down (chicken wire and rocks perhaps) just in case we get a gully washer storm. not in the forecast for the next week - but stuff happens... we'll see...

why i call it The River Nile

100_8354_7062_CPE_thm.jpg

and why it erodes:

p4060003_Small_Test_thm.jpg

p6270015_Berm_At_Work_thm.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I get 14 hr & 40 min today. Close enough! I should have onions next yr. 😁

Today I've gotten seeds in for butternut and big banana squashes, some marigolds, sunflowers and cukes, plus a couple peppers. Tied up any tomato plants needing weeded beans, and a little where I put these last potatoes. More corn tonight, after it cools. It's kinda windy out there actually. Hard to string mark rows. 🙄

Other farm work tomorrow, need garden time off.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses @Dreamz

Start here the website has changed a lot since last I looked but I learned a lot about onions from the onion guy. I'll see if I can't find his growing guides. They were packed full of good info.