What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had about 15 sunflowers breaking ground yesterday. I expect the rest in a day or two...next week I'll transplant. 👍. By that time I should be seeing more seed from other stuff sprouting.😁

Work schedule made me a little late getting some things out but I have a long grow season so it'll work out ok. Just deal with heat and production. Some plants don't care if watered. My tomatoes DID get out on time, most sensitive! Geesh, next month I need to start plants for the cold weather stuff for Aug planting. 🙄

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think I may have fallen and bumped my head for agreeing to plant a 50 row of zucchini. Do you realize how much zucchini potential there is in a 50 foot row?
View attachment 19301

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Yep, you not only bumped your head, you got a full on solid BLOW to the head... They look great... you should be selling at a farmers market....

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I weeded a potato row, tilled in-between rows, set up my sprinklers watered 1/2 garden. Then I saw this a baby acorn squash. I looked over my shoulder at the garden and said yep little baby acorn squash you just made my day,

I really like to eat acorn squash. Look, ain't it just the cutest. View attachment 19302

That is not an acorn squash... that is a butternut squash.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DA#@%D deer ate off the tops of nearly 20 sunflowers that were starting to grow nicely... also worked on some green beans at the end of the row. Got to get the electric netting up but waiting to get the lawnmower running... it just won't start since I parked it... DS said to get a new spark plug as he thinks (hopes) this one is just getting weaker when trying to ignite under compression... That will be cheap start... don't know when it had a new spark plug. It is getting gas, but not igniting.

Last night weeded and mulched the 12-15 summer squash plants that I planted from a pkg of "mixed summer squash" I got from Pine tree seeds. I see some tiny flowers forming. Finished weeding the rest of the row that was green beans then came back up the triple staggered row of onions... got the white ones and the red ones and half of the yellow ones before it got too dark last evening.
This morning I did the rest of the onions and then got half the row of pepper plants weeded; after I got back from doing the cow and calves. They had some mulch so not bad. I see some of the "black beauty" peppers and a few green ones already. But, the sun was out full after being some clouds early, and it was getting too hot for me. Have had a nagging headache so needed to get in out of the sun. I will probably be able to get back into it this evening.

Need to tie up some tomatoes. I have to get going on the space between the "vining" plants before they get to spreading too much. Got green striped crenshaws, cantaloupes, cucumbers and butternut squash. They have a little mulch but I need to get working on the spaces around them.
Oh well, little by little....
We have had some good rains and the weeds are pulling easily. This is nice soil here. First time in a garden in 15+ years. LOTS of grass to get rid of, but could be a whole lot worse.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DA#@%D deer ate off the tops of nearly 20 sunflowers that were starting to grow nicely... also worked on some green beans at the end of the row.
Oh no! So sorry! I feel your pain.

ARGH! I went out to the pig pen garden this morning to find most of the leaves eaten off of a whole pen of sweet potato plants. Not a single goat would look me in the eye...Stinkers! My bad - the gate looked latched... :\ Oh well, the sweet potatoes were going to be dehydrated for winter goat snacks anyway so if they die back he goats have only hurt themselves. I started the sprinkler on the area just to make me feel better. No idea if that'll help the plants recover or not. The bonus is that I can now walk through there and see my feet, lol!

Thankfully they didn't touch the Argonaut squash or the pumpkins.

In the other garden areas I've got some squash plants that seem to be recovering from the attack of the squash borers and I picked a nice sized golden zucchini and see several others that will be ready soon. Okra finally kicked into gear and I picked a big ol' bucket full. Guess that means I can put some more in the dehydrator. A couple bell peppers rounded out this morning's harvest. I'll pick the other garden this evening. Should be some more okra and maybe a cuke or two.

Question: - has anybody even frozen cucumbers? I read that it can be done, but I'd rather have opinions from someone who has done it before I try.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DA#@%D deer ate off the tops of nearly 20 sunflowers that were starting to grow nicely... also worked on some green beans at the end of the row. Got to get the electric netting up but waiting to get the lawnmower running... it just won't start since I parked it... DS said to get a new spark plug as he thinks (hopes) this one is just getting weaker when trying to ignite under compression... That will be cheap start... don't know when it had a new spark plug. It is getting gas, but not igniting.

Last night weeded and mulched the 12-15 summer squash plants that I planted from a pkg of "mixed summer squash" I got from Pine tree seeds. I see some tiny flowers forming. Finished weeding the rest of the row that was green beans then came back up the triple staggered row of onions... got the white ones and the red ones and half of the yellow ones before it got too dark last evening.
This morning I did the rest of the onions and then got half the row of pepper plants weeded; after I got back from doing the cow and calves. They had some mulch so not bad. I see some of the "black beauty" peppers and a few green ones already. But, the sun was out full after being some clouds early, and it was getting too hot for me. Have had a nagging headache so needed to get in out of the sun. I will probably be able to get back into it this evening.

Need to tie up some tomatoes. I have to get going on the space between the "vining" plants before they get to spreading too much. Got green striped crenshaws, cantaloupes, cucumbers and butternut squash. They have a little mulch but I need to get working on the spaces around them.
Oh well, little by little....
We have had some good rains and the weeds are pulling easily. This is nice soil here. First time in a garden in 15+ years. LOTS of grass to get rid of, but could be a whole lot worse.
Nice you've had rain, actually it's a blessing. We have had a little over and inch for the month of June. And that was mainly at the beginning of the month. Grass has a lot of brown spots and farmers corn fields, corn leaves curled up, look like pineapple plants. I'm making an attempt to water the garden with 4 impact sprinklers. But my water ain't no comparison to Almighty's water.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Question: - has anybody even frozen cucumbers? I read that it can be done, but I'd rather have opinions from someone who has done it before I try.
I have!!!!! I shredded and squeeze out as much liquid as possible and then vaccum seal.

I then use to make breads and muffins and cakes in the winter ;)

Latest posts