What did you do in your garden today?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday I had chicken carcass cooking broth.....and baked a pork loin roast from freezer. Sweets from my canning efforts. With that I was inside! Had my SS on my mind.

Then I decided to actually PLAN my coming garden. What a challenge. Listed what I wanted to plant...and what I needed it for, freeze, can, dehydrate, etc. That gave me insight to what and how much, to plant. Also, made me address need/want/use issues. :idunno some items I'd love to grow I just don't eat enough to. Buy it. Now I decided to list what I buy, amounts, economy to grow or buy. Yeah. It was a long but eye opening list. 🤣 Haven't started on area in garden to put each. :lol: ( paprika peppers this year!)

Try it. May make you change your planting plans. Sure had me re-think some things. No space problems but working that garden for most product I'll use.
I am doing the same thing--I love to just plant random stuff--like summer squash last year, 8 plants, no one eats it! haha I did make it into mock pineapple which has been good for dessert making. I am only planting the stuff we like fresh, canned or frozed, nothing else, nothing new and exciting, back to basics.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My silkies absolutely love zucchini. Especially the ones that get big enough to have mostly formed seeds. They fight over the seeds then devour the rest. The large fowl aren't very big fans. I planted extras last year just for them.
Zucchini is a weird plant. Look there's a tender little zucchini that maybe I should cut off the vine. Come back tomorrow and that little zucchini is a giant zucchini.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Squash don't care if chicken litter is fresh. Many other plants will die.

I have to put a bunch in the new areas I'm tilling this year. Last year it was all old chicken pen spots that lay fallow a year.

After Mom saw the monster squash plants I grew in the planter the one year she's wanted more chicken litter. Those plants were in half potting soil half chicken litter because I couldn't afford more soil at that point.

The year we put down 6 inches of aged horse manure in Mom's garden she had a jungle out there. No one in the family has horses anymore.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While we're on the subject. Looks like I found a new profile pic 😂
IMG_20220228_134130721_HDR~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a craving for some radishes and crackers earlier. One of my favorite snacks. Went to the garden and pulled a radish. ONE! After I cleaned it up and trimmed it up I weighed it. It was a solid 8.5 ounces. It's as big as an apple, lol. This is my first year growing Watermelon Radishes and I've got to give them a hearty endorsement. As big as that radish is - it's delicious. No pithiness and no over the top spiciness. It's sweet, with a tiny hint of spice and as crispy as can be. I'll be planting more!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I collect mints. I love them. Only the catnip reseeds and takes over everywhere. Catmint is good as is the lemon balm. Ive tried to encourage the oil peppermint to spread but it's been all "i like this 3x4 area and will stay here". Most of the other mints are in pots. I have a dozen varieties. Have to repot every year but that's fine. They all spread rooting or rhizome.

Catnip spreads by lots of seeds everywhere. I pulled a ton out of the garden last year. The chickens hate it and won't walk through it. So I have to remove it from the pen. I counted one time I was pulling. 112 baby plants.

Only other thing Ive put in pots that tried to take over was oregano. I moved that pot to a very grassy area. Less seeds take root.