What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I started hardening off peppers Monday. They really need warmth and sun but it's been cool overcast and rainy. Probably a good thing though or else the could get sun scorched. I know some people say to harden them off slowly. Increase the hours they are outside a little each day. I just stick them in a semi shady spot and leave them be and water them a quart per tray when they are dry. I really think the wind plays a major role in hardening them off, just as much as sunlight does.

It's supposed to dip down to 29 degrees overnight Friday, according to the weather guessers. So I'll have to bring them inside for the night, but I'll stick them back outside Saturday morning. I've had to dump rain water out of the trays multiple times this week, it's not good for them to be in standing water either. Have some trays that I popped holes in but I can't find them, I didn't look real hard either.

IMG_20220406_215245689.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1 early jersey wakefield cabbage seedling $4.79 at Rural King. yes that's 1, spelled O N E. Defined as a single unit, object, or being.
IMG_20220407_193018484.jpg

A head of cabbage at Kroger is $1.98

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Despite the last 2 days being raining our ground is not muddy! We have rocky and sandy soil, so over lunch I went out to start on the new up and coming berry bed. I also filled and covered to warm 2 new strawberry beds (on ground cardboard, compost and dirt). Chickens got a few works and I got some hard work in. Foot paced off it is 4 x 14 and then the bed under the plastic will be part of it too, another 7

Now, question for any of you with berries. Can I plant together (not inter-mixed but in the same bed one type after another) or raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, and blueberries? And can I put currants in the mix too? Or do they need to be separated? This is the 1st bed of 2. 1 is full sun, one is about 1/2 to 3/4 sun.

Oh and the rhubarb is up, will cover with some compost as it is still gonna freeze next week a couple nights.

Attachments

• 20220408_125555.jpg
    20220408_125555.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220408_124659.jpg
    20220408_124659.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220408_124721.jpg
    20220408_124721.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 62

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent most of the morning attaching wire to the panels in the hog pen turned garden area. I need it to be rabbit proof. I'm wondering if I need to go around the entire pen. The dogs have access to one side of it and I can't believe a rabbit would be dumb enough to test the dogs. I dunno...

The lazy devil on one shoulder says "leave it - it'll be ok." The garden angel on my other shoulder is saying "do it right the first time." Guess I've got some more work to do...

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Plant (and prune) blueberries as if they are trees. They need much more acidic soil than other berries, so grow them in a different area. Reserve 6 - 8 foot diameter of space for each lowbush blueberry. 3 - 6 feet for each highbush blueberry.
X2

But also... gooseberries are just a bush... they are what you plant...

Raspberries try to send out runners to take over the world. It can be nice to have Raspberries in a long row, and then you mow all around the row... to keep them from spreading

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could also have a post on each raspberry row end... and then put up strung between the 2 posts, if any support is needed.

My raspberries never needed help standing up.... I think blackberries are a but more floppy??

That's how the berry farms do it here. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow. The canes are tied in loops to the wires. Blackberries and raspberries are treated that way.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Braced the H ends with X twists of high tinsel wire and also stretched and stapled 2 pulls of the same high tinsel wire for the grape vine. I'm including page 338 of Storeys Basic County Skills book. This book continues to be my "go to" for a lot of questions and information. Grape vine wires are 3' and 5' off the ground. Also some other good info in the book about grapes. Let me know and I can post more pictures of the grapes pages. But I would suggest buying the book, it's a good one.
IMG_20220409_214652166~2.jpg

After farm babe and I were done stretching wires she said we should put something on the wires for people to see. I said why? She said someone come running through here and get hurt. So she grabbed an old towel and cut it into strips and tied to the wires. She just got done cutting strips and here comes Jake the neighbors dog. She grabbed those strips of the ground real quick, cause Jake would have took off with them. I think Jake thinks he's my dog 😂. I like him and according to my neighbor, I'm his favorite person. He is a pretty cool black lab, he swims in the pond with the ducks and makes me smile and laugh a lot with his puppy antics and face lickings

I mulched in 50 foot row of white sweet spanish onions with hay. Both rows yellow and white onions are showing new growth leaves, so are the 3 50 foot rows of cabbages we set out last weekend 👍

I set peppers outside again to continue hardening off.

And I finally got big momma aloe vera growing vertical instead of horizontal. Big momma survived the transplant and is putting on new growth. I wonder what she'll do in that new big pot 🤔 hard telling... she's a crazy cacti 😜
IMG_20220409_202657077.jpg

Last edited: