What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
went out today and checked the beans to see if any were dry enough that i should pick them. found some that i knew were ready and got all of those picked and then wandered around the rest of the bean gardens looking to see how things were doing and if any were ready in those too. found some that were so i got those picked.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
More from the outside of the 50 foot row, I'll probably pick the inside of row tomorrow evening. Then my wife and I agree that'll be enough put up in the freezer for winter, that'll leave a 50 row unpicked, to give away, plus there will be more, still lots of flowers and ones set to little to pick 👍
IMG_20220822_191018977.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi lovelies! My seet peas, the ones that came out of 12, one dried up. The other 2 are still so tiny. I don't think they are gonna make it.
Weeded the peppers and tomatoes are. Still have to weed on the onion bed.
Question; I did the Florida Weave for the tomatoes and really has not held them enough. There are so many green tomatoes. Tried to lift a bunch and the branch broke. So, there are many that are touching the ground, so it's that healthy? If I lift, they will brake. Any advise for now? Next season will make cages for sure,lol

Worked very hard on the duck house. Finish back side of the apron and one third of the other side. Front wall and door are not built yet. Hub is finishing the roof first. But he has a bad elbow and other elder stuff besides thinking too much taking most of the time in thinking, yet at the end is not the way it was supposed to. 🤔 Now he is removing and realigning the rafters,lol Hey, it is not my monkey, he can deal with it himself. I am doing the tilling and skirting the evil hardwarecloth. 😈

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was intense and funny. Went with a friend from BYC to meet another BYC friend for a rooster. We met at DeWitt by the goodwill store. But the rooster got loose and it took us a while to capture him. One of the employees from goodwill used a plastic container and when we were all tired and the roo too, he captured him. Good thing he didn't go to the street or the woody area across the street. Some people helped while others recorded it. 🙄 Well why not,right! Not every trip to the goodwill store you will find three crazy chicken ladies after a rooster in the parking lot,lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi lovelies! My seet peas, the ones that came out of 12, one dried up. The other 2 are still so tiny. I don't think they are gonna make it.
Weeded the peppers and tomatoes are. Still have to weed on the onion bed.
Question; I did the Florida Weave for the tomatoes and really has not held them enough. There are so many green tomatoes. Tried to lift a bunch and the branch broke. So, there are many that are touching the ground, so it's that healthy? If I lift, they will brake. Any advise for now? Next season will make cages for sure,lol

Worked very hard on the duck house. Finish back side of the apron and one third of the other side. Front wall and door are not built yet. Hub is finishing the roof first. But he has a bad elbow and other elder stuff besides thinking too much taking most of the time in thinking, yet at the end is not the way it was supposed to. 🤔 Now he is removing and realigning the rafters,lol Hey, it is not my monkey, he can deal with it himself. I am doing the tilling and skirting the evil hardwarecloth. 😈

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was intense and funny. Went with a friend from BYC to meet another BYC friend for a rooster. We met at DeWitt by the goodwill store. But the rooster got loose and it took us a while to capture him. One of the employees from goodwill used a plastic container and when we were all tired and the roo too, he captured him. Good thing he didn't go to the street or the woody area across the street. Some people helped while others recorded it. 🙄 Well why not,right! Not every trip to the goodwill store you will find three crazy chicken ladies after a rooster in the parking lot,lol
My experience, roosters are hard to catch, even with a fishing net. I couldn't imagine trying to catch one in a parking lot 🤣

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

we use tomato cages to provide some support but it is never enough and we don't mess much with them after they've been growing a while as moving the branches usually ends up breaking things.

tomatoes on the ground when they are green is ok, but as they ripen the worms will start to find them and do damage and also chances of rot. so lifting them and perching them on whatever you can find can help prevent them spoiling. since i have zero inclination and time to go hunting for and propping up hundreds of tomatoes i just take the chances and a bucket for rotten ones when i pick and then i remove them if they have gone bad.