What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi lovelies! Crazy day and tomorrow should be crazier. Harare the pictures of the Broccoli. Two are very big. Then another "normal" and a few more coming. I have search for the bugs eating its leaves and have found nothing. Only caterpillar like on the parsley. Trimmed the tomatoes down some. No tomato nor flower, out it went. Ducks liked the branches and leaves ,lol. Peppers are still coming and also saw a few flowers. How do I know to cut the Broccoli out? Is it a one head and no more, or should I expect more than one per plant?

20220824_201117.jpg20220824_201127.jpg20220824_201137.jpg
The Sweet peas, only one remains,lol
20220824_201436.jpg
Still plenty of green tomatoes.

20220824_201553.jpg20220824_201600.jpg
20220824_201606.jpg
Some are pretty big. Measured in ounces.
20220824_203247.jpg20220824_203306.jpg
20220824_203319.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moved some more gravel to the end of the driveway because the heavy rains were moving too much sand around. built up that edge some more so to slow things down a bit and route them around if needed. dunno how well it will help but for a few buckets of gravel it was worth a try.

i need to move or bring in a whole yard to cover the rest of the space, but we're short on time and $ right now so... i do it when i can. a few minutes this morning.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Probably cabbage loopers here's what I use. Must be Palmolive original green the others like dawn or even Palmolive ultra don't work. One good squirt in a pump sprayer per gallon of water/BT per directions. They sell garden sized bottles of Palmolive Original Green at dollar general. Pump sprayers at Rural King.
072845931900.jpg

0a578e6e-ec4d-4206-95fe-78280942b557.a19510677b344beeb0f6b59cd30a1771.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter for a y plant? I saw a few caterpillars on my parsley last night. Got them but the chickens didn't care for them. By now,they probably found their way back,lol
Hub went in. Wish I could nap in my pov! Can't wait to go home to my animals and the garden. That's where my happiness is!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter for a y plant? I saw a few caterpillars on my parsley last night. Got them but the chickens didn't care for them. By now,they probably found their way back,lol
Hub went in. Wish I could nap in my pov! Can't wait to go home to my animals and the garden. That's where my happiness is!
I use the BT Water and Palmolive on the entire garden. I also add neem oil about mid season because there are bugs that the BT and Palmolive won't take care of. We wash everything before we eat it anyways.

I'm not quite ready to let the cat out of the bag just yet. But I'm in my second year of testing a natural two ingredient (one is water) insect repellent that can easily be made at home. It's working so well, on my test site that I may even consider marketing it.

It's not an original idea... I just listened to some old timers talk about how they used to run bugs out of the garden. I tried their method, as silly as it sounded, and it worked :oops: I like ole timer wisdom.

I took their silliness a few steps further and it's working even better than I thought and without all the silliness.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just walked in the house. Not bad news but not good either. He needs another one in 6mo,Lord help me!
Dropped him off in front of the house and went straight to my poor babies. One was sitting on 2 eggs but she is not broody. So got them all warm,lol last I saw them was 7am. They cannot sleep well if I do not kiss them good-night 😊 Thank you @CrealCritter have look for the BT to use and have some bills waiting for your new product, wink,wink! Lol
Night-night!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
picked 11-13 buckets of tomatoes this morning so i'll be working on those the next few days. just waiting for water to get hot enough so i can start dunking and peeling first three buckets. yeehaw! :)
This is awesome! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

I have to pick beans and process this weekend. I pulled some onions which will be cut and frozen along with some bell peppers. I also picked a tad more rhubarb as it has bounced back from the July heat-so I will be making and freezing some muffins later today. Winter squash is coming along good, sweet potatoes have tons of vines but no flowers yet, last of the potatoes to be dug this upcoming week.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is awesome! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

i always enjoy the whole processing part of doing this even with a lot of problems i just find a happy space and keep on going until it is done.

i have to take breaks here or there to give my body a rest. like now, i finished the first bucket and a half and Mom is working on peeling some that i dunked for her.

long ways to go yet but we'll get them done. i want to have 20-24 quarts ready for sealing up so i can run them all at one time.

it'll be a hour or two before we finish this round up. then i'll take a break and start on round 3. :)

I have to pick beans and process this weekend. I pulled some onions which will be cut and frozen along with some bell peppers. I also picked a tad more rhubarb as it has bounced back from the July heat-so I will be making and freezing some muffins later today. Winter squash is coming along good, sweet potatoes have tons of vines but no flowers yet, last of the potatoes to be dug this upcoming week.

that's all a lot of good things to have coming ready. i could go out and pick beans too, but that's not going to happen any time today or tomorrow.