What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
no issue with power here, but that was quite a squall line when it went through. looks like they got a lot of fixing done today as the count went down from 150,000 without power to 64,000.

when i ran an errand today i noticed one of the small dead trees finally fell over (across the road to the north which i don't care about). i was happy though that it fell away from my fence instead of over it.

while i do think there are a lot of things going wrong in this world and i'm sorry for people being hurt and property damaged and stuff i also think that there is so much instant media coverage of so much of the world that if you constantly watch the news then you're being made aware of it where when in other times you used to only hear of things weeks or months afterwards (if at all). plus with more people on the planet that means more witnesses to what is happening. personally, while i do check the headlines i don't dwell on things or follow a lot of the drama - i just don't have that kind of emotional energy to spare.

to say the least (who me? :) ) i would rather concentrate on things i can actually accomplish and make a difference here because there's not much difference i can make for places far away.
I do not watch TV at all unless streaming a movie. My shows d not start until mid-September. Hub is the one that needs to be swallowed by that darn screen or cell. All he watches is news and cops arresting people. I have enough drama with my animals outside. I mostly enjoy "country tv" where I sit and watch all the craziness of the chickens and the ducks.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Electric fence, that is something I am as clueless as a dead bulb. Feed has been checked,waterers fill and an extra for the ducks. Had my Pelosi misbehave last night and she slept al fresco in the run. I call he Pelosi because she is the speaker of the coop,lol
Almost ready to hit the road now that I watered the garden. See you all in the evening.
@flowerbug glad all is OK in your area.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do not watch TV at all unless streaming a movie. My shows d not start until mid-September. Hub is the one that needs to be swallowed by that darn screen or cell. All he watches is news and cops arresting people. I have enough drama with my animals outside. I mostly enjoy "country tv" where I sit and watch all the craziness of the chickens and the ducks.
Amen! Country TV is the best and the way that I unwind after a long day, my DH even joined me a couple days ago (with his phone but he joined me!)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you were going to do hot wire fence what would you recommend for spacing between the wires and height of the top wire off the ground? Would 8" spacing and 4' high be enough to confine them?
I'm probably not the person to advise you on this - even though what you described sounds good. I have electric around the top of my fence - but it's mostly been for the dogs. However, I've had some goats stand up on the fence to reach an overhanging branch and some have learned the hard way that the fence bites.

As far as pasturing around the pond. There can be parasite problems associated with that. However, my goats have had access to a pond for years. As long as you know the risk and know how to deal with it you're ahead of the game.

How liver flukes spread

These parasitic worms begin their life cycle as eggs deposited in wet places such as slow-moving streams, canals, and ditches with grass or vegetation on their banks. Hatching embryos must immediately find and invade the bodies of certain species of freshwater snails. The snails, as intermediate hosts, are essential for the developing fluke larvae. When they are ready to leave the snails, the fluke larvae form into cysts that attach to plants or float in water until consumed by a grazing animal. Immature flukes emerge from the cysts inside the animal host, and then migrate to the liver where they destroy organ tissue on their way to the bile ducts. Mature flukes living in the bile ducts lay eggs. The eggs are passed out of the animal in its feces, and the flukes’ life cycle begins again.

There are deworming drugs that will take care of those parasites though. Just have to be aware and treat. It's hard to find fluke worms in a goat fecal sample so I use a wormer twice a year that is effective against flukes.

Rotating pastures between your cows/goats would help both of them as they don't share parasites.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are several different classes of wormers and parasites have developed resistance to many of them. I do still have ivermectin products, but I generally use it in conjunction with other wormers. It's become common practice to use two different classes of wormers at the same time.

Different locals, weather differences, and pasture management can make a difference in the parasite load an animal deals with. I live in about the worst location for parasites. Your experience may not be the same.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
picked tomatoes and also weeded some while i was there. keeping on top of the weeds was a goal of mine for these gardens this year because they were getting overrun by a few and so i kept one corner completely clear so i could scrape it easily a few times and also see what the purslane was up to and get it removed.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good evening lovelies, got home around 520pm. Hub and I stopped at Rincon Criollo in Cesar Chávez ave. originally Grandville Ave. in GR. We usually stop to eat at El Toro in Brighton exit 145 off 96 but wanted to get closer to home. He had the usual, arroz con gandúles ( rice with pigeon peas) and pernil or roasted pork butt. I had just white rice and goat meat with a side of green plantains called tostones. Once we got home,, he went and took the waterers from the ducks outside and washed them for me. So I just let them all out and poured some shredded lettuce and cabbage and everyone had a feast. Hub came inside to shower but I stayed out to give them some more play time. I love to see them runaround and stretching. The watered a bit the garden and picked 4 tomatoes and cut some more of the melted lettuce and tossed them for the ducks. The long sticks is all I will gather tomorrow,lol
Just not ready to close for the day. His appointment went really good. Mine it tomorrow on video at 9am. Then have to mow again because after tomorrow,no work outside for me.