What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter nice, I wonder what can I start indoors. I don't have a lot of space inside but I have a table to put a two box cells of 72 each. I tried pumpkin but has never sprung. I also have a heat mat but need to check the seeds I have. I was also given a few walking Egyptian onions but don't know if I should put just outside or in a big cell.

I just tend to start onions and tenders indoors mid to late winter. But expecially peppers and tomatoes because they can take a while to germinate (expecially peppers). I don't use a heat mat, never have. I just lower the florescent bulbs to where they just about touch the clear tray/flat top and that seems to be sufficient for creating humidity and warming up the soil in the cells of tray/flat.

I'm going to be trying a few new things, like germinating blueberries, thornless blackberries and rhubarb from seed and a surprise bay leaf laurel (Laurus Nobilis) for my wife that she doesn't know about yet, so shhhh 🤫. I've never tried any of these before, looking forward to learning new stuff. I'm seriously considering taking some horticulture classes at the community college.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter oh my. She is gonna love that laurel leaves. Never seen the real plant nor seed. Post pictures please if you can. We use it a lot dry in many stews. OMG! Just remembered how good it taste gives to "escabeche" my brother used to make with Sierra or sword fish and young shark. He used to cut the fish in slices not alog but across, fry it and then marinate it with whole peppers,laurel leaves, and vinegar. Kind of pickled fish served cold. I always ate it room temperature not cold.

Screenshot_20220903-061825_Chrome.jpg
Now I would like to eat some,lol too early and cannot find fish here. They only sell lake fish and I only eat sea fish!
Now I am gonna search for seeds,lol I can surely use it on shrimp,lol

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Good sprinkled with cinnamon, butter in the seed cup, bake at 400 in a shallow glass thingy, for an hour or untill for tender. After baking drizzle some honey over top 😋 I used to eat them with brown sugar but the old guy needs to watch his A1C and glucose.
View attachment 20142

Swerve makes low carb alternatives for various sugars. The wife can't use it because it is derived from the ragweed family.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter laurel is a small tree and only produces seeds. It cannot tolerate cold weather, 😭
Seeds take 2 months to germinate. There is a good video named
La Huerta de Toni which is in the north of Spain. I have no way to bring it up from my cell but will try in the computer later in the day. On my way to process some tomatoes and make spaghetti sauce for today. Not enough tomatoes for canning.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Found this while fooling around the internet:

Screenshot_20220903-121845_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220903-122609_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220903-122546_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220903-122532_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220903-122453_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220903-122440_Chrome.jpg

Just finding stuff that people ask around to understand a bit more about the plant. I think I can do in a big pot and bring it inside in the winter.
Edited to add more pictures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220903-122652_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220903-122652_Chrome.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter laurel is a small tree and only produces seeds. It cannot tolerate cold weather, 😭
Seeds take 2 months to germinate. There is a good video named
La Huerta de Toni which is in the north of Spain. I have no way to bring it up from my cell but will try in the computer later in the day. On my way to process some tomatoes and make spaghetti sauce for today. Not enough tomatoes for canning.

Yep I know about the 2 month Germination rate. Blueberries are about the same length of time. I have the means to try and germinate both.

In my zone, if I have successful germination we'll have to bring the bay laurel inside over winter, it's not really a big deal.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's main ingredient is Erythritol, a naturally occurring compound.

To be honest, honey is almost as bad for A1C numbers as raw sugar.

Yep but I can use smaller amounts than sugar and still get the sweet factor. Also honey contains some good stuff, vitamins and minerals in trace amounts.

I'll have to check out Swerve, never heard of it before, Thanks 👍