What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
mama mia, that'sa lotsa soupaeria! (ain't spell check so much fun 🤣)

I make tomato puree, just so the house smells like cooking tomatoes. Close to 4 gallons of puree this time, that's a 16 quart pot. I think it's gonna be a Bistro Homemade Savory Tomato Basil Soup this time. But can't say for sure, hard telling actually. Whatever farm babe makes out of the puree, I already know will be good 👍
IMG_20221014_131029685.jpg

I would say about 15 gallons left to table ripen and put up.
IMG_20221014_131132553.jpg

The end of 2022 tomato season is nigh 😢

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farm babe told me low in the upper 20 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday then back into 70's during the day and 50's overnight. IDK seems like good weather for cabbage, brussels sprouts, lettuce, spinach & peas. Though it depends of just how cold it will get and for how long... I'll just have to wait and see, I reckon. Only thing I can do is pray and try to water them in real good.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Use the sprinkler to keep them getting wet from before dawn til after the sun is up. If they are getting wet down, even if you get some frost, it will keep them from getting the leaves frosted and then when the sun hits them the leave cells won't rupture... that is what the frost does... the warm sun right on the frosted leaves makes the leaf cells rupture... I have kept tomatoes from actually frosting by using a sprinkler and even with the ice it forms if it gets cold enough, the melting ice will be slow enough that the leaf cells won't burst when the sun comes out and warms them up too fast. It is good for when you get a real early unexpected ice cold snap... won't help for very many nights as the cold its self will kill the tomato vines... but it ought to really work on the peas....
We are supposed to get down to 30 tonight and upper 20's the next couple of mornings. I am done in the garden for this year. Next year will be better, but I got good squash and potatoes and peppers...and some decent tomatoes late ; next year the cotton pickin deer will NOT get a smorgasbord for their summer grazing... they did a number on the green beans and the tomatoes early this year. Hoping the neighbor gets a few this year to thin them out a little too.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yum - looks delicious!
It was. I made some last week and still had that garlic smell and taste on my brain that when asked after being in pj's had no problem agreeing, lol I need a bigger pilon for this. The hardest part is smashing the garlic.
A pilon is a wooden mortar. A bit of Virgin olive oil, a bit of sal, about 8 pieces of garlic and smash them until a paste. About 4 green plantains cut in rounds and fried to golden, add to the mortar and smash all together. Serve as a ball or make it like a cup and put meats on it like fried small pieces of pork or chicken, anyway cooked shrimps or lobster. I just love this.

Screenshot_20221018_114403.jpg

Latest posts