What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most definitely froze overnight, although I don't know how cold it got. I have a bucket by the hydrant that I keep full for yard critters (dogs and cats). It had a very thin layer of ice on top of the water this morning, that's how I know it froze 😁. Plus I went outside in a tank top and caught myself saying phew it's a little brisk out here this morning.

I checked the garden, all the fall veggies appear unaffected, by the cool temperature. I'll have to see how it goes the next few evenings. Cabbage has a few more weeks before harvest starts and brussels even more weeks. One good thing about the cool temperatures, cabbage looper and leaf munching insect population has been greatly reduced.

Fall garden veggies are iffy. Some seasons success other seasons a flop. But every accomplishment or failure starts with a try.

I need to water again but it's too windy for overhead sprinklers. The sprinklers are about 3 1/2 off the ground for reference.
IMG_20221018_115528107.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me too! i've never had fried plantains before so you've expanded my brain a bit. :) (wonder what fell out the other end...)... . . .
Never heard of plantains or fried plantains? One of the kids called it ananas. I had to tell him that it was not and showed him a banana as reference,well it was right bear the plantains,lol They both are trees fruit but plantains are bigger with a thicker skin. Even though bananas are sweet, plantains can be sweeter when ripe naturally. I think they do not spray them like ananas because not many people know their useas green. Contrary to green bananas but we ised them green as well. They call them non-oxigenated I called non-gassed. They are hard to peel needing to soak in salt water for a while and using gloves for the natural green bananas will stain your fingers and it is very hard to remove without a lot of chemicals but not bad with salt and dish washing soap, (my trick)! We boil them in salt and with avocado slices and good meat on the side, become a good meal. Green bananas are also used in other Puertorican plates as well. But the plantain is a more common and vaierdly used. Green plantains for mofongo like I made last night and also as tostones which is fried in rounds, flattened and refried as past of a side on any plate. Yellow or ripe plantains can be also be fried and they are softer and sweeter. Super ripe, well without braking it, slice it in the middle, put stewed ground beef in the middle and top it with mozzarella in the oven at about 350-375 and it is amazingly good,lol
Here are some pictures:

Green plantains tostones:
Screenshot_20221018_202140.jpg
Ripe plantain or amarillos (yellow as it's color):
Screenshot_20221018_202238.jpg
Canoas or canoes of ripe plantains:
Screenshot_20221018_202039.jpg
Yes the ripe plantains is sweet but does not contains that much sugar but it has starch like potatoes that might become sugar

Latest posts