What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is there a special light to put when I start the seeds? I see a light on CC pictures. I found stripes of grow lights on Amazon and wonder if I should get it. I do have 2 heat pads but which seeds will need them?

View attachment 22729
I did a lot of research many years ago when I built my seedling shelf thingy. I use T8 fluorescents in alternating bulb 8000k and 6500k range. For the current time though I would use LED because of cost. I haven't done any research on LEDs but I think I recall @tortoise is using LEDs to start seedlings. That is If my memory is correct. She may have better info than I do. LEDs were not available or too costly when I built ours. Now it's almost the other way around LEDs are more available and less costly than florescents

Jesus is Lord and Christ πŸ™β€οΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CC You sound like an electrician, lol I have not a clue and wouldn't dare try anything you said, πŸ˜‰
I have a metal shelf thingy to put the seeds after planting but not sure if I will need to add light. Some places say that when planting seeds, some may need 12-16 hrs of light. Since I am not good at planting, I thought of light. Jeez, I need to get good classes on this,lol
None of the seed packets tell me about providing light. I am so confused now, πŸ˜•

I also found these grow lights as well. The wattage has an importance, I think πŸ€”
1676479000095.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CC You sound like an electrician, lol I have not a clue and wouldn't dare try anything you said, πŸ˜‰
I have a metal shelf thingy to put the seeds after planting but not sure if I will need to add light. Some places say that when planting seeds, some may need 12-16 hrs of light. Since I am not good at planting, I thought of light. Jeez, I need to get good classes on this,lol
None of the seed packets tell me about providing light. I am so confused now, πŸ˜•

I also found these grow lights as well. The wattage has an importance, I think πŸ€”
View attachment 22740
I need to go back and make a correction... I am imperfect and it's showing today 🀣

I used 8000K and 6500K T8's. Any lower than that and you'll start buds instead of leaf development. Ofcourse it's a general rule of thumb because it varies by plant species.
IMG_20230215_105044959.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

View attachment 22740
The problem I see with lights like this is they are intended to grow plants indoors. You will be setting them out in the garden, so you want a light of a high K range and sufficient enough lumen (brightness) to get leaf and stems growing for a short amount of time, not forever.

I've actually outgrown my 12 flat seed shelf thingy. I think I'll see if I can find some 6500K+ 4 foot LEDs and do a under cabinet section to temporarily grow 4 trays of sprouted seedlings.

There's also a lot of opinion on how long to leave the lights on. I run my T8 fluorescents 24x7. In other words once I turn them on I don't turn them off. This works well for >me< your milage may vary...

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I purchased 3 more of these at Rural King today for temporary under cabinet seedling growing. They were on sale, so it was an easy decision. I think they will be fine for cole family and probably young onions. But at 5000K I won't put peppers or tomatoes under them and cause them to prematurely bloom.
IMG_20230215_212715888~2.jpg

I believe I just bought a few more lights to hang in the barn, after seedlings get set out 😁

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Should I use light or just set by window and open during day?
I've done both ways, if you have a good southern exposure window give it a try. Most modern windows are tinted and don't allow much light in anymore. But you won't know unless you give it a try.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've done both ways, if you have a good southern exposure window give it a try. Most modern windows are tinted and don't allow much light in anymore. But you won't know unless you give it a try.

I doubt these are modern windows but they sure give you the chills in the winter,lol
None of my windows face south nor east to catch the sun. They are facing west. Only one south facing window but that is in the hub's room. Nor can leave a light on at night or I would not be able to sleep even if I close my bedroom door. I guess I am not going to get much seedlings. πŸ˜• 😒 😭