What did you do in your garden today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can usually get them cheaper at your local lumberyard/hardware store or lighting store. If you have a Home Depot, Menard's, Lowes or similar, check in their lighting department.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I doubt these are modern windows but they sure give you the chills in the winter,lol
None of my windows face south nor east to catch the sun. They are facing west. Only one south facing window but that is in the hub's room. Nor can leave a light on at night or I would not be able to sleep even if I close my bedroom door. I guess I am not going to get much seedlings. 😕 😢 😭
I have mine in front of huge south facing windows with a light on above them. I have my light on a timer so that it comes on in the morning and at shuts off at night. In natural conditions, plants don't get light at night. Mine do fine without getting light at night.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Ace hardware store is a robbers den. It's the only thing around. HD, Lowes are an hour away and Menard's is 1.5 and I have never been there. Amazon is less than 50 bucks and comes to my door helping me avoid people,lol
CC mentioned the 6500k but I have no clue even though I found them. He also said that it was too strong for tomatoe and peppers. So I might try to find something that I can put on the shelves that I can turn on and off. Or just wing it without any. Last year, my first year had nothing. Nothing germinated. So ended up buying the plants. Have lots of seeds this year. Something will pop on my head soon,lol

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk would you recommend me any of these?
Screenshot_20230215_083955.jpg
Screenshot_20230215_113441.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Ace hardware store is a robbers den. It's the only thing around. HD, Lowes are an hour away and Menard's is 1.5 and I have never been there. Amazon is less than 50 bucks and comes to my door helping me avoid people,lol
CC mentioned the 6500k but I have no clue even though I found them. He also said that it was too strong for tomatoe and peppers. So I might try to find something that I can put on the shelves that I can turn on and off. Or just wing it without any. Last year, my first year had nothing. Nothing germinated. So ended up buying the plants. Have lots of seeds this year. Something will pop on my head soon,lol
The (k) or Kelvin is the color of the light it emits on a scale of red to blue. The lower the k value the more red the light the higher the k value the more blue the light is. This may help visualize the k values of florescent and LED lighting.
colour_temperature_kelvin_chart_make_up.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Friday evening we had supper at our church. The ladies were planning vacation bible school for children of the community. After supper and they finished planing out the three day event. I gave a few ladies a tour over here of how I start vegetable seedlings. They had LOTS of questions and had their notebooks from planning vacation bible school, so they were taking notes. It was fun having them over.

This morning at church I still was answering questions. One of the ladies asked Farm Babe if she would be growing anything? Farm Babe said No, I'm good at growing babies not plants and that was a long time ago 🤣

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shoveled up some barn gold and spread on some rows. Then I transplanted some purple broccoli and napa type cabbage. Tomorrow I need to plant broccoli rabe and get to mulching those rows. Wish I had put feed sacks down first and cut holes to plant through, but I didn't. I'll put the sacks up close to the plants and cover them heavily with hay. It'll have to do. I still need to start peppers and tomatoes.