Reaction score
Gate #2 completed.

20230423_185320.jpg

Freaking raptors uncovered the potatoes and the lettuces seeds,lol
20230423_185436.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i got some holes filled in at the end of the driveway (before they get worse). it's a constant battle between people driving over the end of the driveway (off the road) and any bit of puddle that forms. the county road people just come along and dump more dirt/gravel but it just turns to mud and gets pushed aside. nobody stays on the road.

the worst are the dump trucks that pick up the trash. after we had the driveway end redone (new culvert had to be installed) within two days the dump trucks had already driven over it making it start to look like caca again. so i did call and asked them to remind their drivers to stay on the pavement. they offered to "fix" it but i just said just get them to stay on the road and that would take care of 80% of the problem.

did they manage this? no. almost every trash and recycle pick up after that point they were still driving on the end of the driveway (off the pavement). the only way to keep them from going off the pavement was to put the trash bags and recycle containers right at the edge of the pavement.

the only way to semi-permanently solve the issue would be to cement or ashphalt it, but i don't have that kind of $ floating around...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
almost every trash and recycle pick up after that point they were still driving on the end of the driveway (off the pavement).
That is so annoying. We had that issue with our previous trash pick up company. I put up some of those reflectors that are on a long skinny piece of metal that you just stick in the dirt. I put them as close to the road as I could get 'em. It's just a visual barrier, but it helps a little...

Also helps on the rare occasion that I'm driving home after dark, lol!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is so annoying. We had that issue with our previous trash pick up company. I put up some of those reflectors that are on a long skinny piece of metal that you just stick in the dirt. I put them as close to the road as I could get 'em. It's just a visual barrier, but it helps a little...

Also helps on the rare occasion that I'm driving home after dark, lol!

i'd have to put them right at the edge of the road to make any difference and they'd get run over. we have constant farm equipment and semi-trucks that do not stay on the road. it's a big muddy mess all the time. getting the driveway to not be a part of the muddy mess cost a fair amount of $ but at least we don't have mud holes to drive through all the time any more. i just have to keep after it. probably should keep a few bags of driveway mix handy at all times as that seems to hold up better than just sand and gravel, but i have to get it out there and compacted in the holes as soon as they form or someone else will come along and splash the water (and the stuff in the hole out) and make it worse pretty quick.

Mom wanted to put bricks/pavers out there but the snow plows and traffic would turn those into a mess within a short period of time too.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
🤣 yeppers, chickens love a new plant! They aren't so bad once established plants -- then they will eat a ripe tomato!
When I someday have chickens again, I am going to try the technique of painting a bunch of rocks red to look like ripe tomatoes early on to "train" the behavior prior to the tomatoes forming.

Otherwise, my experience is that after the plants get a good start, my birds left them alone and went after the fruits and bugs.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They were kind of upset after the last gate went up. They had to go all the way around to get to the compost bins in the back of the garden to get a good scratch, 😆

I have gotten used to just a pool of water at the entrance. Sand truck will just ruin everything in the winter. No plowing on my street since it is a dirt road. But the nice edge gets ruin all the time.

The tomato seedlings don't look any stronger and the peppers barely sprouted.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think I have green thumb or any other color thumb,lol
168244475757929122312357502834.jpg

Not doing good today like yesterday. More bedtime than anything else.
This was early this morning. Took it because they say it will snow again today 🙄 😒
20230425_071454.jpg

Latest posts