What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I ran a drip line on my tomatoes for few hrs, then the rest got water since it was sun going down time....cooked some. Been so hot and dry for for a few days, everything was ok but glad fot a good drink. We have an extreme heat advisory for tomorrow...feel like 107-110. ☹️😬. Felt the water would help them.

Then. I picked my first batch of green beans. About a qt cooked. My oh my...so sweet and tender! Delish. Plants are full of 2" beans...should be canning 7-10 days. 😁
Contender? They are delicious for a green bean, my favorite. I have got zero off the blue lake, flower like crazy, the little tiny beans fall off. I think it's to hot and humid for them. I won't be messing with blue lake again.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Watered because the rain we got last night didn't even make the ground wet!

Picked 18 ears of sweet corn, will est some fresh and freeze some. Youngest has 2 loose teeth to come out, hopefully it helps.

Picking and drying mint tomorrow. Will also pull some onions to go with cucumbers I picked- cucumber and onion on bread with mayo! Add a fresh tomato and yum.

We are in a heat warning too, heat index of 102 tomorrow
How do you dry mint or oregano?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@FarmerJamie I thought that the bolted lettuce can be literally to get seeds, am I grong? Mine are still standing out there like towers of Babel,lol wondering when the flowers will give seeds to collect them.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have not done much of anything in the garden these days. Not too hot or sunny for the plants, so very little water. They will get soaked through the morning, so left them be. Did saw some beetles on the basil and 🥦. Girls had no problem with them,lol
Having problems with 2 processed hens. Well, there were 3 but used 1 for soup and it tasted disgusting and the meat was very hard. All I did was clean them good freezer them and cooked that one. I am afraid The others will taste the same. Maybe I can make broth with them instead. I really do not understand. As growing up, mom did the same and they never tasted like this one. She was about a year old if that makes a difference. I just do not see myself to get chickens to keep in a cage with feed. I would be not respecting nature. IDK.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having problems with 2 processed hens. Well, there were 3 but used 1 for soup and it tasted disgusting and the meat was very hard. All I did was clean them good freezer them and cooked that one. I am afraid The others will taste the same. Maybe I can make broth with them instead. I really do not understand. As growing up, mom did the same and they never tasted like this one. She was about a year old if that makes a difference. I just do not see myself to get chickens to keep in a cage with feed. I would be not respecting nature. IDK.

i know very little about chickens but is it the variety of chicken which has caused this? what are they? are they all the same?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Hinotori I have supercrushed eggshells,like pulverized. Would that help?

Upset at my roo. He is in jail. Pecked my favorite hen right on her eye. She's my top layer. At least is not busted. Aaaargh!

20220815_212534.jpg20220815_211634.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori I have supercrushed eggshells,like pulverized. Would that help?

Upset at my roo. He is in jail. Pecked my favorite hen right on her eye. She's my top layer. At least is not busted. Aaaargh!

View attachment 19943View attachment 19944

I always use eggshells when I plant tomatoes. They break down over time to add the calcium. I know there are other things you can add that get calcium available now. The eggshells will help prevent future issues. Ive never powdered them so don't know how well that works.

I hope the poor hen doesnt get issues. I had one girl blinded by a peck