What did you do in your garden today?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tilled the garden since its finally dry enough to do.:weee Bad news is the right wheel started coming off and the wire connected to the handle you pull back to make it move got chewed through by a mouse. :rantI temporarely fixed it and it lasted long enough to till the garden once, but will need fixed permanently for future use. And the tire. :barnie

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apparently rabbits must be attracted to cornstalks a lot. It’s one of my first memories coming home from Australia and Daddy put the bulleye on his head and went to the cornfield with a shotgun because Grandpa complained about the rabbits. I can tell y’all what happened after that but it’s rather long and complicated.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Apparently rabbits must be attracted to cornstalks a lot. It’s one of my first memories coming home from Australia and Daddy put the bulleye on his head and went to the cornfield with a shotgun because Grandpa complained about the rabbits. I can tell y’all what happened after that but it’s rather long and complicated.
Tell. Tell. :caf:pop

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I try to be brief and not write a short story. So whatever Daddy went through inspired him to trap the rabbits because he couldn’t always be in Grandpa’s cornfield. He then made a coop for the rabbits and as he trapped them he determined the sex immediately and dispatched the bucks. He kept the females. He obtained a New Zealand buck to keep with the does. Keep in mind he had just been working around New Zealand and Australia and saw other ways to farm than he had previously been exposed to. Well Grandpa had a corn harvest, Momma had a baby boy, and Daddy had a rabbit herd. So we had a Hurricane. I think it might have been Camille. So I understand our area lost a lot of wild rabbits and somebody must have narced Daddy out because he got a visit from the wildlife & fisheries agent. The guy told him that it’s illegal to keep wild animals in captivity but in this case it was a good thing because they will use the wild rabbits to reproduce on one of our islands and then put them in the woods later. So the bunnies that were mixed Daddy claimed was not the wild ones (half true) but he caught 13 wild females and was paid $5 for each which was excellent money in 1969….especially for just cleaning your father-in-law’s cornfield. But each of the 13 females were pregnant with a New Zealand buck. Well three years later they opened the rabbit season. Men went hunting and they claimed the rabbits were bigger than they ever saw. They are bigger to this day.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah well years later I got married to my ex and he, his dad and brothers used to hunt rabbits with dogs together and my FIL said that when he was young it used to take more rabbits to feed a family but they are bigger now. I don’t know if they believed me when I told them what had happened to cause them to be so much bigger because they asked me how I came by this information and I told them it’s because Daddy was the one who did it. I furthermore had photographic evidence to prove it. I suppose some people would say Daddy did wrong but actually hunters who just want to feed their families don’t complain about the size. Only very old people here know that rabbits used to be much smaller. I actually love Daddy’s idea.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I asked my kids that....
Kid 5 said "you can eat both"

:lol:
#5 might be a teenager? All mine eat everything, expecially the boys. Just me thinking... I don't think a corn stalk would be very edible and would probably plug me up like no tomorrow 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welp I have a problem... the second shelf lights only go up 16 inches. Some of the tomato seedling tops are touching the lights. Looks like I'll need to move the top shelf up another foot or so. This should be interesting... It's only 8 screws to move the shelf but it has to be level or when I water the trays it won't equally distribute.
IMG_20220322_134307717.jpg

IMG_20220322_135114373_HDR.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I have another problem to fix. Aloe plant fell over had 6 or 7 babies and momma tried it's best to escape the nursery pot. I'm going to cut off all the babies by the roots and transplant momma into a 5 gallon pot. Plant the babies in small pots and give them away to family, neighbors and friends.

This is the second time momma had babies my wife says I made it grow big and have babies when I transplanted it the first and second times. What will momma do in a 5 gallon pot? We shall see, I reckon.
IMG_20220321_213343829.jpg

IMG_20220321_213357151.jpg