What did you do in your garden today?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anybody ever grown golden zucchini? I'm giving it a try. Planted 4 hills this morning and "just in case" planted 4 hills of regular zucchini.

Our nighttime temps are staying a bit warmer so I'm putting seeds in the ground finally.
Never even heard of them! I will be interested to hear/see how they turn out and flavor comparison.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rural King

Tomato seedling $4.98 each
IMG_20220326_202747132.jpg

Jalapeno Pepper plant $4.98 each
IMG_20220326_202818366.jpg

I looked at my wife and said, something I best not repeat here or I'll have to ask Almighty to forgive me again. My wife asked me if we'll be able to get seeds next year? I said I don't see why not. We are planting heirlooms and I've successfully kept seeds before, so we'll do it again and I'll teach you how.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe not completely garden related but kind of related.

I took the turkey brooder out of the turkey/duck yard last week and turned it upside down because I wanted to put a treated plywood bottom on it. I flipped it over today and I could not believe all the earth worms that were under the tin roof. I snapped a picture because I couldn't believe it myself. The ducks spend their nights with the turkeys in the turkey yard and the turkeys are cool with it. So I guess turkey and duck manure is great earth worm food. This was right outside the coop/yard too. I imagine the actual turkey yard is teaming with earth worms under the hay.. now I know here to look for fish bait 👍

IMG_20220326_125152763_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with you on the plants prices!! I had commented before about how the plants were way more than last year....I understand profits but, I can't afford them! My own seedlings are what I need and use. Save seed from these heirlooms. Heck, one or two peppers supply all you need.

Earthworms love manure and rotting hay! 😊

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Planted some Purple Dove beans this afternoon. Thanks @flowerbug!

i can believe it's warm enough already down there! :) i hope they do well for you. :) i love 'em. the flowers are so bright and the beans are delicious. it will be four months or so before we get any fresh beans. it snowed here a little again last night. forecast says it's 22F with wind chill down to 5F. hmm. glad i'm inside!