What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not as big as I used to be. I'm a more leaner stronger version now. I changed my diet, no more sweets, more protein, more leafy greens. I'm trying hard to build upper body muscles back.

Those three point tillers are expensive. I plan on using the community 3 point tiller for the remainder of the garden as soon as it's available, I'm next in line 👍. But I wanted to get onions, cabbages and beets in and IDK I need to look at the list again.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A 5 footer is 2200-2700. 🤪 that's a real bite! Don't see it happening this yr. In fact, some are out of stock what with shipping and all. There are no gardeners around my neighborhood. Well, maybe a couple containers, etc. Nothing serious. Farmers are all BIG stuff and strictly crops. :idunno there's an equipment rental place with one but 6'. Too big. Plus $150 per day. Disc and walk behind tiller will do. 😁. I'm close to done...another week. Also it was 28 this morn, maybe 24 tomorrow morning. 30 mph winds all day today. ☹️

You're coming right along there! Good job! Careful with your hands..milking comes soon.🤣

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A 5 footer is 2200-2700. 🤪 that's a real bite! Don't see it happening this yr. In fact, some are out of stock what with shipping and all. There are no gardeners around my neighborhood. Well, maybe a couple containers, etc. Nothing serious. Farmers are all BIG stuff and strictly crops. :idunno there's an equipment rental place with one but 6'. Too big. Plus $150 per day. Disc and walk behind tiller will do. 😁. I'm close to done...another week. Also it was 28 this morn, maybe 24 tomorrow morning. 30 mph winds all day today. ☹️

You're coming right along there! Good job! Careful with your hands..milking comes soon.🤣
My wife wanted one until I showed her the price tag. Then she didn't want one anymore.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Watch for them at auctions. Small equipment tends to hold its value because it's in demand among those with smaller properties. It took DH a few years of watching and bidding before we got a 5 foot PTO tiller in our price range. I don't remember what we paid for it, but I remember our price range was $500 - $800.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I picked a nice large Napa cabbage and I mixed up a big ol' batch of Kimchi. I love me some Kimchi - I'm so excited, lol. I'll let it ferment for awhile and then I'll can it.

that sounds so good to me right now. i've been wanting just some basic cole slaw the past few weeks but we keep forgetting to pick up some cabbage.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We will be putting up 24 inch, 1 inch chicken wire around the garden. Hopefully it'll keep the rabbits out and the chickens in their yard 🙏. Or else I would have already set out cabbages but with nothing up but woven wire fencing to stop the rabbits, I would just be feeding them.

I called around and can't find any sweet potato slips, so I ordered Georgia Jet slips and Goldrush Russet seed potatoes from farmerseed. Enough for a 100 foot row of each. It would be great if we have enough potatoes to share with our neighbors.

One of these years I'm going to learn how to grow sweet potato slips. I've studied and it doesn't seem to difficult, but I've never tried, so don't know what to expect.

Today we sowed a 50 foot row of detroit dark red beet seeds and a 50 foot row of yellow Spanish sweet onion plants, then it got too dark to do anymore. This year I'm going with hay mulch, it got interesting mulching in onion plants but we got it done. The soil was good to work but still cold.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Troybuilt pony tiller dug these up. Kind of funny, a tiller called pony digging up old worn out horse shoes. I was able to punch the nails out and drill larger holes to screw them to the garden fence posts by the gates.
IMG_20220329_221931541~2.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tractor still sitting at garden. I'm working next 2 days. Supposed to get rain Thur night into daybreak Fri. Depending on amount I may be able to work it again over weekend. 🤔. I plan to start a few bean & pea plants using this hay I got for mulch, to see if it's contaminated with a weed herbicide, before tossing it on my precious garden soil! Better safe than sorry. Hope it's ok because I have 14 bale's of it! :old I'd rather mulch than burn.

Beyond that, I hope to get some potatoes going. 😁. I'm also anxiously waiting to see sprouts or toss some old seed on wet paper towels, in plastic bags. ;) seed cleanup/out.