What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes are getting out of hand again. According to the weather guessers it might frost tonight, so hardening off starts this weekend. Yep... some are 28 inches tall and growing in a little tiny cell.

I suspect they will need to be planted in a deep trench this year.
IMG_20220331_205651558.jpg

I obviously sowed the seeds about 2 or 3 weeks to early.
download (3).jpeg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I suspect they will need to be planted in a deep trench this year.
No more than 8" deep maximum. Lay them on their side in the trench and gently curve the stem up where you want it to come out of the ground. I tried digging deep holes and it stunted their growth. All the plants I pulled up later after they were dead from fall frosts had zero roots below 8" deep.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No more than 8" deep maximum. Lay them on their side in the trench and gently curve the stem up where you want it to come out of the ground. I tried digging deep holes and it stunted their growth. All the plants I pulled up later after they were dead from fall frosts had zero roots below 8" deep.
Thanks 👍 8" seems to be a gardening golden rule or something. Same applies to potatoes plant them in wide row hill/mound around 8" high.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pulled the last two Napa cabbages. They're gonna have to hang out in the fridge for a couple days until I can throw together another batch of Kimchi. When I get all that done I'll can it.

Noticed that I have lift off from some recently planted seeds. My Purple Dove peas are sprouting! Saw that a few of the zucchini's are popping through too.

The first seedlings in the garden are so exciting. I'll be transplanting tomatoes within the next couple of days.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

hmm, i wonder if that had anything to do with soil type or soil moisture levels or irrigation patterns, colder down deeper, etc.? my own experience is that the root system of the tomatoes i plant will go down a ways.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hmm, i wonder if that had anything to do with soil type or soil moisture levels or irrigation patterns, colder down deeper, etc.? my own experience is that the root system of the tomatoes i plant will go down a ways.
They are SUPER sensitive to temperatures.

So... maybe it is a temperature thing. @R2elk is your soil cold after about 8"?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
J clipped 2 foot high 1" chicken wire around the bottom of the garden fence just about done. will be tomorrow morning Lord willing. Rabbis sampling my onions who knew rabbits like onions?

Just look at this, cute little tiny asparagus seeds starting to sprout. They are a micro image of a mature spear that we would eat. They are so tiny... You might need to zoom in on this picture 😂
  • IMG_20220401_220242972.jpg
Potential Bonus? I know very little about mushrooms only a few certain types, this one I'm uncertain.
IMG_20220401_223234331.jpg

Last edited: