What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had germination on 3 yr old seeds! Broccoli rabb. 99% too. Have another bag of wet paper towel & tomato seed. :fl need to try these old seed. These tomato are much older, so iffy but a great paste type so hoping at least a couple grow. Then I can save seed from a fruit. They're heirlooms.

Cut seed potatoes to dry off and be planted this weekend. Watered seed in my impromptu cold frame... have a first sprout there. 😊. Anxious for more. And put a few bean and a few pea seed in containers with dirt and the old hay I'm checking for herbicides before using as garden mulch. That should show before time to use it out there. Hope it's ok. 🤔. Would love the mulch.

I dream of looking out at a thriving garden, not bare dirt. :old:lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have grown tomatoes in different areas of the country, different types of soil. In the spring the soil temperature is colder farther down.

i normally plant later in May so that's not a big issue for us.

it is not colder all season, so the plants should be able to get roots down further all summer.

i plant pretty deep (based upon how tall the plant is and i often pick the tallest plants that are leggy) - it helps with summer hot spells to have the roots down deeper. a foot to a foot and half is pretty normal. i only leave the top half dozen leaves or so above the ground.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finished J clipping chicken wire to the bottom of the garden fence. Mulched in 5 rows with old nasty hay rounds, transplanted a 50 foot row of spanish sweet white onions, and three 50 foot rows of early jersey wakefield cabbages. The soil is still cold, but it was a good day to work in the garden. Slightly chilly, so I wasn't sweating too much. Wife and I finished up this evening with the sun setting,
it was a very good day - Thank You Almighty👍
IMG_20220402_180755700_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220402_180807563_HDR~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks good!!!

I did another shallow disc, then raked it all. That helped level, finished most of the dirt clump breaking up and pull a good amount of grass, root, etc up and out. A lot I was able to accumulate in a couple areas. Then I used my mini pitch fork to lift said grasses, shake and sift dirt out/off. A lot of work but good to have done it. I'm feeling pretty ready to row....sow some seed, etc😊

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks good!!!

I did another shallow disc, then raked it all. That helped level, finished most of the dirt clump breaking up and pull a good amount of grass, root, etc up and out. A lot I was able to accumulate in a couple areas. Then I used my mini pitch fork to lift said grasses, shake and sift dirt out/off. A lot of work but good to have done it. I'm feeling pretty ready to row....sow some seed, etc😊
Ready to row -n sow - needs to be a song, thinking bluegrass-ish. Nice to play in the dirt ain't it?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted a row of pole Lima beans. I've never had any luck whatsoever with bush lima's....but we love them so I'm giving it another shot.

Started the mulching process....argh.

Decided to combine two rows into one decent size bed. I usually plant tomatoes in large 30 gallon tubs - but this year I'm going to do tubs and in-ground. I'll have to cover all of them to keep the stinkin' stink bugs off 'em, but I'm determined to have a tomato harvest this year.

Pulled some carrots. Had one as an appetizer - nothing like that fresh right out of the ground taste.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted a row of pole Lima beans. I've never had any luck whatsoever with bush lima's....but we love them so I'm giving it another shot.

Started the mulching process....argh.

Decided to combine two rows into one decent size bed. I usually plant tomatoes in large 30 gallon tubs - but this year I'm going to do tubs and in-ground. I'll have to cover all of them to keep the stinkin' stink bugs off 'em, but I'm determined to have a tomato harvest this year.

Pulled some carrots. Had one as an appetizer - nothing like that fresh right out of the ground taste.
👍 Carrots are really good fresh, many people don't know how sweet carrots are fresh pulled.