What did you do in your garden today?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter those tomato seedlings are amazing! aloe too. you must have a real green thumb.

nothing in the garden today, rain all day long, lots of it, probably about an inch so far. no more snow here but lots of mushy mud

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The elderberries I ordered. Bagged in damp excelsior. They are just breaking dormancy. I have them in water and will pot them up in a couple hours when I have time. They are as I was expecting and all look pretty good compared to other bare root plants I've bought locally.

It was shipped FedEx Smartpost but, FedEx delivered it today. Probably because they were so late with it and the post office wouldn't get it here until tomorrow. It was supposed to be here yesterday.

20220322_132636.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Solved problem #1 moved shelf up 12", wife didn't like this job, "your gonna have to hurry up!" But it's done and I don't think I got in trouble too much, maybe IDK... 🤔

Tomatoes got 12" more chain and I moved peppers to the bottom. So I can sprout asparagus on the top where it's warmest. I have a feeling it's gonna be a plant tomatoes in a trench year.
IMG_20220322_185103534_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The elderberries I ordered. Bagged in damp excelsior. They are just breaking dormancy. I have them in water and will pot them up in a couple hours when I have time. They are as I was expecting and all look pretty good compared to other bare root plants I've bought locally.

It was shipped FedEx Smartpost but, FedEx delivered it today. Probably because they were so late with it and the post office wouldn't get it here until tomorrow. It was supposed to be here yesterday.

View attachment 18517
So glad they are good 👍 I debated about posting about farmerseed because I had zero experience with them. But the prices seemed real good, so I posted. I'm just happy they aren't a dud and you are happy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
They are potted up and we'll see in a few weeks. I didn't spend too much. I always limit when I try a new site. Then I end up spending lots later if they turn out to be really good.
They look good! I got bare root elderberries last spring. They were barely twigs. They were from the county forestry department once a year - we can get bundles of 25 bareroot trees for $25. 25 of the same variety. They sell out crazy fast! DH and I planted 25 each of elderberry, native plum, and native black cherry trees. I don't know if they made it through winter yet. We planted them near the chicken coop so *if they grow* the chickens could clean up dropped berries. I hope they will block the view of the neighbor's field. We have a good neighbor now, but you never know what will happen in the next decade.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Just tending seedlings and watching the snow melt. We have 3 - 7 inches of snow in the forecast next week. Far enough away to imagine it won't come. :gig Robins are back (as of Sunday, 3/20), so it should snow about 3 more times yet. Our last frost date is May 10, but I can usually get a lot of garden prep done in April.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For some reason I have abandoned mustard & collard greens, not intentionally... but not sure I know why either.

I recall one year I had row of the most beautiful huge collard leafs. My wife said look at those, pick me some. So I did and she made stuffed collard rolls. The same recipe she does for stuffed cabbage rolls but with collard leaves instead of cabbage. For some reason the taste came back to memory. The collard rolls were delicious. Only one bad thing was the big tough center vein on the collard leaf but it was easy enough to eat around. She cooked them in the crock pot, so good 😋 That evening as we were having collard rolls for supper, a thunder storm that dropped hail rolled through and my beautiful row of collards was ruined.

Has anyone canned collards? can it be done? Kind of like canned spinach maybe, but with some fat back or smoked pork belly, IDK bad idea? I would eat canned fat back or bacon collards, if they tasted good.

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just tending seedlings and watching the snow melt. We have 3 - 7 inches of snow in the forecast next week. Far enough away to imagine it won't come. :gig Robins are back (as of Sunday, 3/20), so it should snow about 3 more times yet. Our last frost date is May 10, but I can usually get a lot of garden prep done in April.
We have robins too, finally saw the 1st one over the weekend. Our last frost date this years is projected at April 30th, so jot too far ahead of you. I am going to plant some cool crops before that date though and just cover if needed.