What did you do in your garden today?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How are your last frost dates so early? Mine says June 3… maybe I need to look somewhere else lol, I’m zone 4b

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have seen varying frost dates for my area, I just took an average of what I found. I have yet to find two sites that say the same date.

I found this chart which was helpful for me
1648039841979.png

Not sure how accurate it is, but it gave me the best range estimates

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we don't plant any warm weather crops here until the end of May and some i will go into June. even when i've had to replant some it seems like they catch up anyways.

the earliest i plant is now and into mid-April (peas direct sown and onion sets if i'm doing them).

i have some onion sets here ready to grow from last summer's harvest from seeds i'd planted the previous summer and amazingly they are doing just fine without me doing any special storage of them. i dried them out last year in box tops and then put them up on a shelf in the garage until it was getting to be too much freezing weather so i put them in a five gallon bucket and brought them in and they've been sitting in this room at about 65F for months.

they now have some green poking out of some of them and i need to get them planted in the next month or two, but it just rained here a bunch so it will be too muddy out there for me to do it until it dries out some more. i'm mostly planting these for seed production and a few eating onions will go in too, but it won't be my major sweet onion planting. those starts i plant when we do our warm weather planting the end of May.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ordered strawberries and blueberries, I have a few blueberry plants I hope survived the winter, oh and I ordered some elderberries. Berry farms are the best! Lol

We have old, old apple trees and we want to graft on a more edible variety… maybe next year we’ll do it (we’ve only been saying that for 9 years 🙄)