What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was 54 and cool with a 15mph wind! Jacket, long johns and determination.
My garden efforts are begun....this...

raw(33).jpg

Went to this...

raw(32).jpg

Need to refine it more. But a great start!

@CrealCritter I wish we had a community tractor. Had to buy mine! $380. Worth. But it's here anytime I need it. 🤷

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was 54 and cool with a 15mph wind! Jacket, long johns and determination.
My garden efforts are begun....this...

View attachment 18567

Went to this...

View attachment 18568

Need to refine it more. But a great start!

@CrealCritter I wish we had a community tractor. Had to buy mine! $380. Worth. But it's here anytime I need it. 🤷
Now your talking, that garden spot is looking good 👍

Quick tip for you all. If you have a strong cordless drill or even corded one and can reach the garden. This will be the best money you will have spent in a long time. https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...4-garden-auger/2680335/p-7720120058515038.htm

This is the community rake, my neighbor dropped it off for me a little while ago. Hard telling how old it is. I'll take it back when I'm done with it.
IMG_20220327_190204839.jpg

Community means neighbors. if I have it and you need it, you are more than welcome to use it.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Removed the netting I had around the garden. The grass and dirt ate the bottom 2 strings so it was a fight.

Removed the large rocks and any cinderblocks still out there. It looks like I can till now in most of the garden as long as it stays mostly dry the next few days. So I'll be starting that tomorrow or next day.

Have take out one of the silkie houses and level the ground for pavers. I have a new 'house' for them. It's a 2 trash bin storage shed. Cleaning should be easy. Has good ventilation already and pop door I just need to decide on spot.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try a version of three sisters type planting in a couple areas of the garden. I guess my version will be more like two sisters instead of three. I'm going to plant okra, which is generally tall and sturdy, and put some climbing beans or red rippers or something between to use the okra as a trellis. I won't be planting squash or pumpkins there however. I need to keep those in an area where I don't have to walk all over them. Hope it works! :fl

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I moved two old nasty hay rounds into the garden yesterday for mulch. Today I'm tilling up about a 1/8th of the garden for two rows of cabbages and two rows each of spanish white and spanish yellow onions. I'm using the jerk a knot in your tail troy built pony tiller, phew...

The soil in this old cow pasture is nice and rich with earth worms.
IMG_20220328_142814898_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah. Those tillers give a big, strong person a challenging workout! Me, they toss me around. I have a older, much smaller to use, 5 HP? 👍. That's why I wanted a rotary tiller for my tractor. BUT then ya can't get into aisles & spots during growing :lol: makes the expense pretty sad. And it's a big expense!!

I went over garden with disc a couple times today, shallower, just to break up some of the chunks. That's what a tiller does better! I plan to rake next, pulling out the grass clumps. I'm sure it will get some, break clumps, too. My rake isn't like the landscaping one you have there. It's called a pinestraw rake...longer tines which are finer. Bought to rake after mowing fields. It's quite strong actually.