What did you do in your garden today?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just like cabbage. :)

My mint is still dormant. Still too soon to put young plants out overnight. Do you check your soil temperature? I'm noticing 20 degree difference between various areas of my property!

I will put out frost-tolerant plants on Thursday because the risk of hard freeze is low-enough for me and I have enough old sheets to cover them if necessary.
I have checks temps, same thing raised beds are much warmer than ground temps, also south side of house is much warmer than the west or north side. Thanks for the response, I might pot some so I can bring out during the day and in at night and save some for maybe next week.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have checks temps, same thing raised beds are much warmer than ground temps, also south side of house is much warmer than the west or north side. Thanks for the response, I might pot some so I can bring out during the day and in at night and save some for maybe next week.
How high are your raised beds and how much warmer are they? I might be motivated to add some raised beds if it meant I could plant earlier.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How high are your raised beds and how much warmer are they? I might be motivated to add some raised beds if it meant I could plant earlier.
Well the ones I have on my deck are waist high, and I cover them in plastic as soon as the snow is melted from them (I clear them off all winter after each snow).They run about 10-15 degrees warmer about 4-5 inches down but the top 2-ish inches can be 25-30 degrees warmer, so good for those crops like radish and putting in onion sets early.

The ones directly on top of the ground, have a base of cardboard and wood, then mulch and then dirt. Those also get covered with plastic as well and run about 10-15 degrees warmer over all. Not really sure if this extends my growing season at all but if I were to add hinged topped cold frames (which is my plan in fall) and I added a couple layers of plastic they say it can give you 1.5 growing seasons higher per layer.

I can say, I was able to completely turn all my beds on the deck well before the top level of my yard was thawed.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
last year was so different than this year. i haven't gotten the peas in yet (maybe Friday or Saturday if it works out). raining again here today - it's ok, i tweaked my lower back yesterday morning so a day or two off for ibuprofen and a break is ok. will gradually wean off ibuprofen today and tonight and get back to gradual increasing movements today and tomorrow. a good day to run errands and read a book or two.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This morning while water tubs were topping off, I walked over to look at my direct sow things....more corn up, squash had one plant up and a few more "pipping" 😊. Then saw some beets had sprouted! Excited with that. We are getting rain now. That will sure help...and more overnight.

Stopped for cat food on way home and there were the seeds! :th🤪🤔. Won't hurt to look right? Whaddya know! They had the round carrot seeds. Only one pack came with me. Such self control!!!! :lol::idunno. I mean I have about 10 packs of Danver half's....but, always wanted these. 🤷

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ding dong the leaning power pole is finally replaced. the power pole has been captured in many many pictures here over the years. this morning i hear a truck idling and then the beeper noise of one backing up so of course i have to check out what is going on. took them a little over two hours to stand up the new pole and move the wires and remove the old one. looks much nicer (and straighter!). i thought about going out there right near when then were done to tell them thanks for replacing it. it's only been there leaning for maybe 20yrs...