What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked about a 1/4 of the squash patch. Just the butternut and acorns that were ready, an array of shapes and sizes. Some need a little more time on the vine.
IMG_20220830_101257525~2.jpg

I didn't touch the abandoned zucchini or summer squash. I'll need the pickup or a big crate for those.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love those pictures!
Hi Lovelies! Not squash but squat was done here. Spend most of the morning visiting this family with my friend. OMG! Had a blast! A donkey, saw a donkey in real life! And touched him too! Also touched a huge,gigantic pig. Not a regular pig but an over 300lbs pig. Hair was hard almost like a porcupine but not that hard. She said the breed but do not remember. It had some like Saber tooth, men almost like in ancient times. I also petted the goats, Nigerian dwarf but no horns just the hanging beard,lol it was so freaking cool. Chickens, about 20 of them. I liked the "pier d' blue"? And she said they lay blue eggs. I need blue eggs,lol Then ducks, about 6 of the. All black and white. Turkeys, 2 beautiful white with little black on them. Did not touched those. But she also had a weird all white guinea fowl? It was king of scary looking,lol. She also had 2 horses and a pony.
Yeah! I guess I was in a petting zoo,lol she had a garden but not too big. Only squash and tomatoes. Then she had a tiny ping with huge goldfish, about 4 of them. I thought at first they were koi's but she said they were regular goldfish from petsmart,lol. I really enjoyed her farm setting on 5 acres.
Then we came home and filled her with tomatoes,peppers,parsley, oregano and basil. She drove my to the next town and dropped me off at the mechanic. Came home, hub was home, I was hungry,he walked outside, I ate,then took a nap. Just got up and hub came in. Doors for the duck house done! Yeah! Now my turn to go and let the animals out for the rest of the day, check the garden because it rained yesterday but will need more water after today's sun and see if I can begin with the evil hardwarecloth on the doors.
Will let you know if I do any work,lol Tomorrow will be a dead day because I need to take hub to the east side of the state were many are without power do to the storms. @flowerbug hope you do have power. Praying for you and for everyone because many things are just going crazy not just in my State but in all US and the world. I can do that at least and join the many others that pray for this world.

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well considering that the 50 mph winds abd the 2-1/2 " of rain ( we needed the rain) the winds tore through the sorghum and flattened out quit a bit so all day we have been hilling each row ( yes with a Hoe ) to straighten the crop so hopefully we will have it completed by Friday.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Brought in the clean-up crew today. Still had massive black-eye pea and red ripper vines - but basically no production. Time for them to go to make room for something (anything) else.

Start of day 1:

View attachment 20115

End of day 2:
View attachment 20116

I love my work crew! They work for beans, lol!
My beautiful wife told me to get some of those creatures this evening. She may not be so eager when she sees the fencing bill. That is if I choose to pull another fence at all this winter. I may have to go with multi strand high tensile weed burner hot wire, I don't want too, but I may have to. Thankfully I believe I have all the t-posts I need, which is a big part of cost of pulling a new fence.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My beautiful wife told me to get some of those creatures this evening.
They are the creature that keeps on giving. But, definitely make sure they only get clean-up duty when you want them to have clean-up duty, lol. It would be devastating to have that happen during the productive season.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...Tomorrow will be a dead day because I need to take hub to the east side of the state were many are without power do to the storms. @flowerbug hope you do have power. Praying for you and for everyone because many things are just going crazy not just in my State but in all US and the world. I can do that at least and join the many others that pray for this world.

no issue with power here, but that was quite a squall line when it went through. looks like they got a lot of fixing done today as the count went down from 150,000 without power to 64,000.

when i ran an errand today i noticed one of the small dead trees finally fell over (across the road to the north which i don't care about). i was happy though that it fell away from my fence instead of over it.

while i do think there are a lot of things going wrong in this world and i'm sorry for people being hurt and property damaged and stuff i also think that there is so much instant media coverage of so much of the world that if you constantly watch the news then you're being made aware of it where when in other times you used to only hear of things weeks or months afterwards (if at all). plus with more people on the planet that means more witnesses to what is happening. personally, while i do check the headlines i don't dwell on things or follow a lot of the drama - i just don't have that kind of emotional energy to spare.

to say the least (who me? :) ) i would rather concentrate on things i can actually accomplish and make a difference here because there's not much difference i can make for places far away.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are the creature that keeps on giving. But, definitely make sure they only get clean-up duty when you want them to have clean-up duty, lol. It would be devastating to have that happen during the productive season.
I believe I have a good spot for them around the pond. lots of over growth that can't be bush hogged because it's too steep and some pasture that's in mow for hay. But I don't have a fence, to keep them confined.

If you were going to do hot wire fence what would you recommend for spacing between the wires and height of the top wire off the ground? Would 8" spacing and 4' high be enough to confine them?

If I go with electric it'll have to be high voltage weed burner type, (click on click off). I don't think I could get away with low voltage constant on, because the weeds would short it out.

Latest posts