What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...whatever but his kids to learn to be like him, that saddens me.

take heart, my parents are racists, i've gotten them to shut up about it most of the time. i don't speak politics to Dad at all (he's rabid and often foaming at the mouth bad about it), Mom has no interest in that, thank goodness, so she won't talk about it often so we don't have to have the conversation where i have to tell her that i don't ever want to talk about it). they're both "high school" educated but i consider them very uninformed and not very rational. i do not argue with them (it accomplishes nothing) - they have no understanding of basic science or topics like probability and risk management.

i'm not a racist but i do know i have prejudices built in from how i was raised (and then as i got older i saw how wrong it was and i've been fighting back ever since). i'm glad i've had some great friends of other races and consider the point completely made that it's how people treat each other with respect that determines how i think of them and treat them in return, but i start with giving everyone the basic civil respect they deserve as people (and animals too). so from there we keep going and i adjust.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't move next to a farm if you don't like farming!!!

I'll bet they liked the cattle more than the pigs.:lol::lol:

when we moved to the country when i was 4yrs old. it was ok, we were kitty corner from a dairy farm. i'm ok with cow poop smell and dairy farm smells. i'm decidedly not ok with concentrated pig, turkey or chicken smells. after some years the dairy farmer decided to try raising 100 pigs. the neighborhood got after him and put an end to that. it wasn't harrassment at all IMO. if you make a big stink that goes beyond the edge of your property you deserve to be shut down. as it is pretty clear from more decent practices that the stinks are not necessary or even good. if a farm sprays pesticides that go off their property or spreads fertilizers that run off into the ditches and streams. all of that isn't good or decent behavior as far as i'm concerned.

we have neighbors that do have pigs, we get a whiff of them from time to time when the wind changes. it's ok, not a severe stench, i can deal with that.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
to me being neighborly and friendly would mean i'd talk to the neighbors of our property before making changes that might be a big effect on them.

like i'd never get 100 pigs or put in 60 behives and i'd make sure if i were changing the land practices of land near a neighbors i'd make sure to ask them about it and try to address their concerns.

as a kid, behind us the fields were left fallow for a long time, there were some ponds back there we played in, we had a hill of dirt that was overgrown we made forts on and in. there were large trees here or there that we also built forts in. the people who owned that land eventually decided to put it back in farm production but i was gone by then, but a few years before they'd run a dozer along the edge (burying a fort i'd dug in there but that was ok, because by then i'd determined that it was going to flood anyways :) ). the biggest thing i would have missed were the ponds, the wild blueberries and raspberries and the wintergreen and the big oak on the tuft of a sandy hill.

anyways, all the other items listed above were things done by neighbors without talking to us. i'd have considered it more friendly had they talked to us first.

the beehives are annoying at times. the agricultural run off i've mostly dealt with but there is some erosion control i need to finish up over there. a few trees i need to bring down and have to ask the neighbor about. only mess up i did was when i had another neighbor come in and brushhog the back of the lot and didn't call the other neighbor because i figured they did it but they didn't so i called later to opologize.

we're not super close neighbors. most are a 1/4 mile away or more. i'd be happy to buy more land around us if i could get it at a decent price. not too likely now, but i can always daydream... :) i did make an offer on some land to the north of us when that neighbor put the land up for sale, but he wanted a huge amount of $ for it and was basically just doing it to jerk around another neighbor who he's had a feud with so i backed off out of that.

and i should call the neighbors who own the land to the south and east of us to talk since the farm field the've been renting to another neighbor is looking to chance. just to see what's up and asking perhaps if they'll eventually sell it or rent it or what...

ok, enough daydreaming and meandering, time to get a goin'...

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@flowerbug I agree with most of what you said. So sorry about your growing with differentiating people that way. But you seem to have adjusted to reality. I still think there are a lot of racism in this country. Back in 84, as I crossed the lower states from San Diego to Florida on a trail ways bus, on a stop, I went to get a soda. They guy told me that I had to do it through the window. That really choked me not just that it was 1984 but because in PR, there is no racism. We are all Puertoricans even if from Spaniards, Native Indians, or African descent due to the slaves they brought to the island.
For some reason, just few years back it all began to come back out and showing.
My own son said to me once that I was racist because I will not move to a prominent black neighborhood. Told him that is not racism, because I will not live in an all white neighborhood nor an all Hispanic neighborhood either. I can live where there is balance. When the neighborhood is all one race, unfortunately you will see drunks in the store, not safety and too much drama. In a mixed area, I think is a bit more respect for each other, but that has been my experience.

Got my hair done early this morning. So, no work day because I have that town meeting tonight and find out who is who and what gets talked about. Will be my first time ever. I donated last winter about 600 crocheted beanies for the needy. Late on that this year, so honest year, I can have more. I like to get involved helping my community. Maybe they do not like me because I an not white or Mexican,lol But maybe they do, so half the battle is already won!
I think I have time for a nap and then catch up with crochet and recorded shows,lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
to me being neighborly and friendly would mean i'd talk to the neighbors of our property before making changes that might be a big effect on them.

like i'd never get 100 pigs or put in 60 behives and i'd make sure if i were changing the land practices of land near a neighbors i'd make sure to ask them about it and try to address their concerns.

as a kid, behind us the fields were left fallow for a long time, there were some ponds back there we played in, we had a hill of dirt that was overgrown we made forts on and in. there were large trees here or there that we also built forts in. the people who owned that land eventually decided to put it back in farm production but i was gone by then, but a few years before they'd run a dozer along the edge (burying a fort i'd dug in there but that was ok, because by then i'd determined that it was going to flood anyways :) ). the biggest thing i would have missed were the ponds, the wild blueberries and raspberries and the wintergreen and the big oak on the tuft of a sandy hill.

anyways, all the other items listed above were things done by neighbors without talking to us. i'd have considered it more friendly had they talked to us first.

the beehives are annoying at times. the agricultural run off i've mostly dealt with but there is some erosion control i need to finish up over there. a few trees i need to bring down and have to ask the neighbor about. only mess up i did was when i had another neighbor come in and brushhog the back of the lot and didn't call the other neighbor because i figured they did it but they didn't so i called later to opologize.

we're not super close neighbors. most are a 1/4 mile away or more. i'd be happy to buy more land around us if i could get it at a decent price. not too likely now, but i can always daydream... :) i did make an offer on some land to the north of us when that neighbor put the land up for sale, but he wanted a huge amount of $ for it and was basically just doing it to jerk around another neighbor who he's had a feud with so i backed off out of that.

and i should call the neighbors who own the land to the south and east of us to talk since the farm field the've been renting to another neighbor is looking to chance. just to see what's up and asking perhaps if they'll eventually sell it or rent it or what...

ok, enough daydreaming and meandering, time to get a goin'...
Our next stop is bee hives, two maybe three. I already know there is a wild one around here somewhere because the garden was covered up with them several times this year. Where the hive is I do not know. Farm babe wants them badly, I would like them for orchard, garden and berry patch pollination. We have yet to have a planning conversation. But I do believe she will be the bee keeper of those stinging little liquid gold producing rascals.

and yes we will inform our neighbors. You never know what you'll discover until you talk with the neighbors.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
take heart, my parents are racists, i've gotten them to shut up about it most of the time. i don't speak politics to Dad at all (he's rabid and often foaming at the mouth bad about it), Mom has no interest in that, thank goodness, so she won't talk about it often so we don't have to have the conversation where i have to tell her that i don't ever want to talk about it). they're both "high school" educated but i consider them very uninformed and not very rational. i do not argue with them (it accomplishes nothing) - they have no understanding of basic science or topics like probability and risk management.

i'm not a racist but i do know i have prejudices built in from how i was raised (and then as i got older i saw how wrong it was and i've been fighting back ever since). i'm glad i've had some great friends of other races and consider the point completely made that it's how people treat each other with respect that determines how i think of them and treat them in return, but i start with giving everyone the basic civil respect they deserve as people (and animals too). so from there we keep going and i adjust.

Hubby is like that. His father and most of that side of the family were racist, misogynist, bigots. His father was the worst followed by his oldest half brother.

Hubby sees everyone in 2 groups. Jerks and not. Be a decent human being and he doesn't care about race, sex, religion, or sexual preference.

Reneefolsom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do understand having family that are bigots. My dad and that side of my family disowned me because I had 2 boys with a man that wasn't white. My oldest is 24 and nobody on my dads side has ever wanted to see them. My dad and grandmother both died did not see there grandchildren and only reason I know there died was I googled there names

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I be darned! Is that a country saying? Anyways, I guess I expected more to the meeting. However, I think I made a good impression. Everyone that is always there in the mornings, told me that I looked completely different. Of course had no high heels but dressed like a woman for a change, make up and all,lol I am usually on stained sweat pants and raggedy shirt, my hair up and no make up. I guess I cleaned good today. Even the hub asked curiously where was I going and said I was going to meet a man about some odd jobs,lol I guess the meeting was OK, just not what I expected. Funny that the president of the board had a mallet and used it to say, " this meeting has adjourned " lol
Nothing today. Tomorrow will bring back the swear pants and do some work.

Oh, I found a picture with me on it on the internet. Of course I asked nicely to remove it because I do not want my picture anywhere at all. Maybe one of you can figure out which one is me,lol

Screenshot_20221004_140808.jpg

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Dreamz I have a guess on which lovely lady you are but what if I am wrong.....lol

Nothing in the garden, it is at a standstill. Not much left to harvest but strawberries and raspberries in the big garden and carrot and lettuce in the boxes on the deck. I will be covering their hoops with plastic today and tomorrow to make low tunnels, hopefully it keeps the frost out. Should I lay a light towel over top just in case? Or will the plastic be enough?

Latest posts