What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I knew it! The cutest one in the bunch ;)

Last nice before the big cold spell. Inhave green raspberries and strawberries on the plants so tomorrow I need to find all the extra sheets. I also have lettuce about 5 inches high so I need to cover and plastic up. Going to see how far into the fall and winter I can go!
That is too funny! Seeing to the last and not really looking forward because I was afraid of getting somewhere in the internet,lol But I did. I am not a picture person

On another note, finally cleaning the garden. Read about alternating crops. But the thing was kind of vague. Can I plant the garlic where the tomatoes were? Or where the lettuce was? This is very confusing. All the tomato plants will be burned. The bunch onion, got only 2 and they had a worm looking thing inside, so threw it out. It was new fresh dirt! The remaining tomatoes, they ducks are feasting on them,lol TIA 😊

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our next stop is bee hives, two maybe three.
Go for it. Also with 2 or 3 it is much easier to compare them so you know if one does need a little extra. Also if one doesn't make it through the winter you have a lot things are built up to make the next colony's start much better.
Farm babe wants them badly

and yes we will inform our neighbors. You never know what you'll discover until you talk with the neighbors.
Oddly they can come over and be in the middle of 3 hives on 2 acres and not even notice them. Just make sure you have water near them. They really like the chlorinated water from a pool for some reason. If they don't have water close the neighbors pool will be there preference.
Can I plant the garlic where the tomatoes were?
I don't think they go well together. I know potatoes and tomatoes are not good together and potatoes and garlic are good companion plants

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
garlic needs full sun, so i'd not ever grow it in with tomatoes or potatoes.

after harvesting the tomatoes, planting for next season where the garlic will get full sun is fine. leave enough space around the garlic so it can be easily weeded, like onions they don't like a lot of competition.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
That is too funny! Seeing to the last and not really looking forward because I was afraid of getting somewhere in the internet,lol But I did. I am not a picture person

On another note, finally cleaning the garden. Read about alternating crops. But the thing was kind of vague. Can I plant the garlic where the tomatoes were? Or where the lettuce was? This is very confusing. All the tomato plants will be burned. The bunch onion, got only 2 and they had a worm looking thing inside, so threw it out. It was new fresh dirt! The remaining tomatoes, they ducks are feasting on them,lol TIA 😊
Are you asking about rotation each year or companion growing? There are plenty of resources on best companion pairs.

To be honest, the only rotation I purposely did was planting corn where I had beans previously (heavy feeder vs. nitrogen collector). Now the brain subprocessor is cranking. Lol

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you @flowerbug . Yes, I meant rotation. Read that onions and garlic can go where tomatoes were because pests and fungus will come for tomatoes and find onions and they will not be happy,lol me neither. However, the only onions I have are those Egyptian and friend told me to select a spot and always plant them there. Don't know why but didn't asked much.

I am in a lot of pain. But removed half tomato plant and the Broccoli plants and took them to the burning pile. The peppers and lettuce went to the compost pile. Tilled the boxes and the lines on the ground, put egg shells that I always keep and covered with newspapers. Had to irrigate because it was a bit windy. The same on the cilantro and basil box. All covered,yeah! Still have another row of tomatoes but it began to rain and the tiller is electric, so put all away. Thank you so much you all. Oh, in Texas is ya'll,lol

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW! Am I beat up or what? Definitely around 30's tonight, so I covered the chicken run and finished pulling the last row of tomatoes.
Debating if I go south to Indiana early in the morning or stay and till the tomatoes lines and get them ready to plant garlic. Any advise on what to do? Lol

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"Should I stay or should I go"....
Well. Snowblower on trailer and trailer behind the truck just in case. Still not sure. Cannot be at night because have no light connection.