What did you do to save $ today?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our local farm stand - who grow much of their own stuff, or get it (mostly) locally - closes between Jan. and April to get ready for the new farm year. For the last few weeks before closing everything is 20% off. So today I got a big box of apples (for applesauce and keljonma's Hungarian apple cake :drool - both of which I'll be making tomorrow), some of their locally made jams, of sorts that I don't make myself, and, from the dedicated freezer, several cuts of locally grown lamb - a leg roast, some shanks, and some chops - and everything for 20% off :woot

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
On Friday I posted to Craigslist asking for old chickens and unwanted roosters. With in the next week I have 17 packing peeps, 6 adult Arruacauna (sp) roos, a mixed batch of about 6-10 adult and young random yard roosters, and an unknown qty of spent hens arriving all for an outlay of about $20.00 now and enough feed to get the peeps through to butchering age. And that's just in the first 2 days :D

Woot! I will have a stuffed freezer and a stuffed freezer means a happy me :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I tried an ad like that and didn't get a single response. What did you say in yours? I live in a rural county.

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just said I was looking for older spent hens or roosters and would pay up to 1.50 for them. So far most of the offers have been for free roosters and a couple old hens. The hens will be given a chance to recuperate and lay but they may be just old stewing biddies. We'll see.

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have found that people get tired of request for free stuff on craigslist. Even if I have said item myself and don't want it I will frequently ignore blatant begging, especially if it is a writing style or phone number I recognize. The fact that your child wants an xbox or whatever is not a life or death emergency.

I have found if I offer something even if it is not much, people do appreciate that. I don't have a lot of money to spread around but while I'm not going to pay $15 for your 3yr old rooster, if he's in acceptable health, I'll shell out 1.50 for him.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Did laundry at work today so I was using someone else's water & electricity! I figure two loads a week will add up a bit.

I also researched switching our gas service to a different provider. Found out it wasn't worth it in our situation.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
As soon as my DH leaves for work, I turn the heat down. We have electric heat, and I normally roast in the house cuz he keeps it too hot. When I'm home, unless it's bitterly cold out, the wood stove keeps the house plenty warm for me.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah, we keep our thermostat set at 57 in winter and 87 in summer. In winter its easy to wear an extra layer of clothes to keep warm. I can't say I love the heat in summer but I can always go hang out in the basement where its a few degrees cooler when it gets to be too much. And when the bills come, I love not having to stress over them. I put myself on an "auto pay" system for utilities. My utility company charges an extra $2/mo to average your bills for you. I decided to do it myself, so I took a year's worth of bills and averaged them, then started paying that amount at a time of year when the bill was lower than the average. This set me up with a credit amount so when the bills went higher than the average, the credit helped and I am able to continue paying the same amount year-round. My electricity and gas bills combined are $75 per month for a 4-bed/2-ba house which I don't think is too bad in a climate where we get down to single digits in winter and triple in summer on a regular basis.

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh I would love to even have our heat down to 62. Right now it's at 68 because the woman that lives with us w/ her husband and kid has Reynauds and gets total body pain if the temp drops below 66 for very long and she can't tolerate extended temps below about 67.

Latest posts