What did you do to save $ today?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yesterday I started cleaning an area of my property that is unused, due to shrubbery overgrowth.
Today its so clear that DH wanted to include it in the fence, but I suddenly had inspiration to sprinkle turnip and mustard seeds to cut my winter's produce purchases a bit.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday, as I was doing my rain barrel laundry/with pump....my neighbor brought over 2 water totes for us. One is 350 gallons, the other is 275. He siad we didn't owe anything for them. His wife was telling me the guy he gets them from, also re-uses used motor and kitchen oils for heating. I plan to take ours over to him, as I hadn't taken the 4 gallon jugs of used oil to the recycling center yet.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Harvested and cleaned root veggies much of the day. They got put in the fridge, and there's very little we'll need to buy all winter for vegetables!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I resisted the urge to drive an hour away for the kind of chocolate I can have :rant Some local store NEEDS to get that stuff in!! I am going that way tomorrow anyway though, so will pick up a few things we can't get here.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Harvested and cleaned root veggies much of the day. They got put in the fridge, and there's very little we'll need to buy all winter for vegetables!
How do you get through the nine months of winter on a weeks worth of vegetables? Are you near BoomBay?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Killed 2 deer this past weekend! Put them up ourselves so no processing fees...only the cost of freezer bags for lots of good meat!

Also, bought 2 big turkeys on sale last year and put them in the deep freeze so now the one I have left is thanksgiving dinner this year :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
xpc said:
me&thegals said:
How do you get through the nine months of winter on a weeks worth of vegetables? Are you near BoomBay?
We have 1 acre in veggies for CSA/farmer's markets. This was the week that I cleaned up most of the rest of the garden--so probably 20 lb of beets, about 40 lb of carrots, celeriac, kale in the freezer, 30 cabbages, a pile of Brussels sprouts, turnips.

We already harvested all the onions, garlic, potaotes, squash and pumpkins.

Throughout the spring and summmer I've been freezing about 20 gallons of fruit, piles of asparagus, about 40 quarts of corn, about 30 quarts of tomatoes, canned beans, peaches, pears and raspberries, etc.

So with ALL of that (not just this week :)), we'll have all the produce we need until next spring, although we definitely buy things fresh to have more variety. Just not much.

This week, I swapped a bunch of fall produce (spinach, cabbage, kale and more) for 3/4 bushel of organic apples from a coworker. I'd say it saved me at least $50, although I don't know for sure since I've never bought organic apples in a bulk way.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I worked up a good shopping list that enabled me to go to 3 stores and buy mostly loss leaders and good sales for things we need, and at the same time managed the $50 minimum needed at each one to buy a turkey for .27/lb instead of 1.59. 60 lbs of turkey- I saved over $75 on the three of them. I also got 45 lbs of potatoes for .19/lb for drying- that plus what I already have dried will take care of us until the new crop comes in.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
that is great! nothing like stocking to feel good.
I am getting ready to tackle taters in the freezer. I have corn coming out of my ears :lol: but we sure eat it up all winter!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
me&thegals said:
that is great! nothing like stocking to feel good.
I am getting ready to tackle taters in the freezer. I have corn coming out of my ears :lol: but we sure eat it up all winter!
How do you prepare your corn for the freezer?