What did you do to save $ today?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey I hit sugar gold

:p

10 lbs for $1.94

I use very little sugar so this will last. But that has to be a great price right? Coupons and sales, ya gotta love them.

edited to say--how long does sugar last. I have had rock hard bags a few times but easily smashed it and used it. wondering just how long sugar can stay good? not a sugar person here lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my goodness what to you do with that much sugar in that short of a time. are you a baker?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol:
that would use up alot

I drink unsweet tea on ice with lemon. No wonder I use very little.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sugar will last a really long time. Try keeping it in a zipper freezer bag, that will help. In my neck of the woods, it's cheaper to buy two four pound bags than one 10 pound. I stand there and figure out how much per pound and go with whichever size is cheaper. This is the time of year to stock up on some of the baking ingredients here. I put coconut, choco chips, nuts, etc into freezer bags and pop them in the freezer, too.

Let's see, I whacked more deer parts :sick for cat and dog food again. I'm sick of whacking deer parts, but the critters are pretty happy with it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow, FC--what a score on the sugar! I was buying it 50 lb at a time this fall for jam making and bee feeding. Used up a load last week for a bake sale, but otherwise we don't actually use much on a regular basis. I make sweet tea, but 3/4 cup sugar for 1 gallon tea.

My score this week were Cortland, Haroldson and Empire apples for $5 per paper grocery sack. Wow!! I'm making loads of sauce, then not sure what else. Maybe dried apples and roll-ups. The family eats 2-3 apples each per day, so we actually go through bushels and bushels just in fresh eating. I'm glad--and don't understand--that this DH and kids of mine never get tired of apples.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne I hate that. yea 10 lb should be cheaper but then you check the tag and it says per ounce it is cheaper to buy 2 small.

it is a conspiracy I tell ya. to keep us looking at stupid things, vs. the big issues :lol: :lol: