What did you Forage today?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Last night I foraged a little bit of some sheep sorrel. Sheep sorrel is listed on this website of edible wild plants . The leaves have a lemony taste. You aren't supposed to eat a lot of it because it has a high amount of oxalic acid in it.

My husband and I were making an Italian dish with tomatoes that required basil and we didn't have basil on hand. We weren't about to drive to the store to just buy basil. :rolleyes: We have tried the dish before without basil, in similar circumstances, and it always tastes horribly bland. I figured any sort of not-too-strong herb would fill in, but didn't want to use parsley or cilantro. So I thought it might be worth trying out some sorrel. It actually added an interesting "bright" flavor without being overwhelming. Much tastier than if we had not added any sort of herb. As an added benefit, sorrel is high in vitamin C. I hope this account may just help someone else some day. :D

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear a good review of Sorrel! I got some French Sorrel seeds at my local farmer's market recently and they are just starting to come up. Hope I can use it all!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know people were cultivating sorrel! Did you have any recommendations on how to eat it? I have wanted to add it to salads, but still have not gotten up the nerve to try it in a salad. :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I just found an interesting little article about the health properties of sorrel.

It is also believed that the
FLAVONOIDS present in sorrel may
be a useful deterrent against certain
types of cancer and help to enhance
the bodys immune system in general.
Recent studies conducted by the
Northern Caribbean University,
Jamaica, revealed that sorrel could kill
certain types of cancer cells. Sorrel tea
is consumed in many countries such as
Sudan, Senegal and Eygpt on a daily
basis and researchers in Mexico have
reported a significant reduction in the
triglyceride levels of persons who
consume sorrel. Elevated levels of
triglycerides are associated with heart
disease.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grow sorrel in the garden, not the tiny clover like weed with the yellow blossoms - that's called sorrel too up here anyway, but the sorrel I grow looks like a spinach - a yellower green though. In the spring, it is great on sandwhiches, or used as a wrapper around cheese (works great for gluten free - replaces the crackers), and makes a pretty good soup, too. Very lemony. some people find it too sour.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I picked polk salad today! I haven't had it years. Good stuff, southern dining at it's finest! I would really like to grow it in my garden next year. I'll have to wait until they produce berries and dry some. :drool

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yesterday my DH and I had a real treat for dinner... a quiche made with (among other things) several generous handfuls of morel mushrooms! My mom picked them over the weekend in central Idaho and they are divine.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We found Mulberries and picked probably 8-10 lbs. I made lots of mulberry jam.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Has anyone found and eaten chanterelles? I think I saw the mother lode at our local park yesterday and will be back again tomorrow. My online investigation says there are no look alikes that would actually kill you, but a person can't be too careful.

Any wisdom or experience out there on this one? Thanks!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Sally has Chanterelles in her forest, she would know! Hopefully she'll chime in here shortly.