What did you Forage today?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok, now that it is warm out.... Time to revive this thread. Looking back at my other posts.. Well.. Hopefully any more posts I make won't be full of errors. :smack

So, what has everyone been foraging lately?!

I've been eating nettles here and there when I find them, and some raspberry shoots. Otherwise, not much..

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Today I picked wild onions. Millions of wild onions. Billions of wild onions. Gazillions of wild onions (I better stop before I exaggerate). Well, it was a lot! My garden spot that we plowed last fall, and we are getting ready to plant in was over run with wild onions.

We won't cook with them that often, but if we are out of regular onions, it beats running off to the store just so we can add a little flavor to something.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . nettles are pretty much too big here now. I should be harvesting dandelion flowers, but I haven't tried them yet. :hide

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What do you do when your nettles get too big? Can you cut them back?

P.S. As my dad used to tell us girls, "Try it! It will put some hair on your chest!" :lol: Dads!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
My Dad used to say the same thing. Think they read the same book?:lol:
:lol: Was your dad a NAVY man?

My dad, who has been bald since he was 20, told us to just use his shampoo when we ran out, it did wonders for his hair. :p

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Morel mushrooms and some Dryad Saddle mushrooms. The morel season stinks around here this year b/c it's too dry. We're supposed to get rain in a couple days though.

Also, "wild" asparagus is up here too. YUM.

Had bass for supper last night. Actually all our meat for the last few days is "locally grown".:lol:

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbor is getting morels already. I'd love to go looking, but I really don't know how and where. I need a guide, but both neighbors "protect" their spots. :D We are to get showers this weekend which should really bring them on.