What did you Forage today?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Blackbird said:
So wait, a rose plant grows the actual rosehips? Why don't I know what a rosehip is?
Rosehips are the ball shaped calyxs left over when the petals fall off. They also make rosaries out of them.
Ah ha! Any type of roses work for this?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
big brown horse said:
Blackbird said:
So wait, a rose plant grows the actual rosehips? Why don't I know what a rosehip is?
Rosehips are the ball shaped calyxs left over when the petals fall off. They also make rosaries out of them.
All roses produce "hips", but I am not sure that you can eat all varieties. Usually they are hard like crabapples...and to tell ya the truth, I never tried to eat them. But the ones I have growing now are soft and bright red, so I couldnt help myself, I had to take a itty bitty bite...and YUM!

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't know what varieties you have in the states, but over here we have two main 'wild' types - rosa rugosa and dog rose. Rosa rugosa produces big fleshy hips, that tend to be wider than they are tall, and are apparently tastier (not tried either raw, so can't comment). The dog rose is more common in the wild though. Some 'domestic' roses have hips, but not all of them. My mother assures me that all roses that produce hips are edible, but that the flavour varies. I wouldn't like to swear to it though!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Islay said:
I don't know what varieties you have in the states, but over here we have two main 'wild' types - rosa rugosa and dog rose. Rosa rugosa produces big fleshy hips, that tend to be wider than they are tall, and are apparently tastier (not tried either raw, so can't comment). The dog rose is more common in the wild though. Some 'domestic' roses have hips, but not all of them. My mother assures me that all roses that produce hips are edible, but that the flavour varies. I wouldn't like to swear to it though!
Thanks! My current roses produce the big fleshy hips that tend to be wider than they are tall...and they taste very good raw.

I had no idea that not all rosed produce hips. In all my antique rose growin days I never had one that didn't, so I just assumed it was a rose thing in general. Thanks for the clarification!

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread! I love foraging. :) Lately we have been foraging for blackberries in our area, and we have a stream nearby that always has watercress growing in it. I have a great book called Feasting Free on Wild Edibles by Bradford Angier that has great recipes and suggestions.

And as far as rosehips, last fall we foraged a ton and made about four quarts of rosehip syrup. It's divine on ice cream, and makes a lovely cocktail with apple juice and white rum. :)

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
big brown horse said:
Blackbird said:
The rosaries I've seen are actually made with beads made from rose petals, but I suppose you could string the hips if you wanted a rather large rosary. :)

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
onebuggirl said:
We foraged 2 five gallon buckets of wild grapes and some rosehips!
What are you going to do with the rosehips?

I have a huge wild rose (I think it is wild) bush that has these beautiful bright red rose hips on it. They are so yummy, they taste like persimmons.
Islay posted a ton of recipes on post # 13 here. I read that rose hips have vitamin C and are yummy. I am drying them right now so I can seed them.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
unaspenser said:
Blackbird said:
big brown horse said:
The rosaries I've seen are actually made with beads made from rose petals, but I suppose you could string the hips if you wanted a rather large rosary. :)
I always thought they were made from the hips!! Thanks for setting me straight!!
:D

Thanks onebuggirl! I'll go check out post #13!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I found my first rosehip! W00t!!

I didn't exactly forage it, it was on one of my mom's yellow roses. I checked all the rose plants and this was the only one with any. And my any, I mean one. I guess I got too excited, because I ate it anyway and I don't think it was ready yet. There wasn't but taste. a little kick of sour but thats all.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I found my first rosehip! W00t!!

There wasn't but taste. a little kick of sour but thats all.
I'm glad it didn't taste like but...by the way it is spelled with two t's. :lol: Sorry, I could't resist!! ;)

Now you know what to look for!!