What did you Forage today?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
LMAO

:lol: :lol: :gig

I can't believe I missed that!

Here:

I didn't exactly forage it, it was on one of my mom's yellow roses. I checked all the rose plants and this was the only one with any. And by any, I mean one. I guess I got too excited, because I ate it anyway and I don't think it was ready yet. There wasn't MUCH taste. A little kick of sour but thats all.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
LMAO

:lol: :lol: :gig

I can't believe I missed that!

Here:

I didn't exactly forage it, it was on one of my mom's yellow roses. I checked all the rose plants and this was the only one with any. And by any, I mean one. I guess I got too excited, because I ate it anyway and I don't think it was ready yet. There wasn't MUCH taste. A little kick of sour but thats all.
Much better!! (Heaven forbid anyone catch one of my many typos!!!! :lol: I thought it was cute!)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found a nice chicken of the woods mushroom a couple days ago. Really fresh and very tasty!! It's been unusually wet and cool here this summer.

Hollyrose

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
More black raspberries and black berries. I'll be picking them every day until they are done!

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I foraged mushrooms today with my mom.
Here are a few pics, if you want to see more, click on the link in my sig line to my blog.

3876306936_abbdbbbf6b.jpg

This is the first puffball - I spotted this one.

3876307352_5cd42024b6.jpg

We are waiting to try these if/when we find our mushroom field guide.
Anyone know what they are?

3875518089_f506086f3b.jpg

My mom spotted this one.
I walked right by it!

3875518455_6720c95258.jpg

Underside of the puffball.

3876308370_58d5e1f2ee.jpg

Cooking the puffballs in butter.

3876308648_3fa78e8456.jpg

Yummy!

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok - so those pretty bumpy ones are NOT reccomended for eating.

We also picked some skullcaps - POISONOUS! :sick

I threw them away. Guess we will stick with puffballs.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you know any other mushrooms Catalina?

You NEED to teach me some! I only know morels. :hide

I think those others look like Shaggy Manes, according to my pamphlet - but don't take my word for it.

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Do you know any other mushrooms Catalina?

You NEED to teach me some! I only know morels. :hide

I think those others look like Shaggy Manes, according to my pamphlet - but don't take my word for it.
I'm just starting to learn.
I wish I could find a morel!!
Last month while we were on vacation my mom saw a mushroom, picked it and cooked it. We ate it for dinner AND we didn't die.

THEN we bought a mushroom field guide and realized how easiy we could have died or poisoned ourselves!

I like sulfer shelf/ chicken of the woods the best after puffballs
http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mushrooms/mushroom/edible.htm
This link says shaggy manes ARE edible, so I might have to compare it with the field guide tomorrow.

It is so confusing!!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I would love to find a Morel too, I only know about them because our nieghbor is really into mushrooms. I could probably ask him about the ones I've seen around but I don't want to bug him.

Oh, I also has a Shiitake mushroom kit, thats sitting in the corner of the kitchen. I got several from t once but I didn't know how to cook them and my mom threw them out, and now i've kind of neglected my slab of sawdust they grew on. I should probably add some more water to it and see if they come up..

I see a lot of 'regular' or common looking ones but I don't know what they are because a lot of different kinds look like them.

I'd love to find a fairy ring some time, just to take a picture, but I guess they're really rare.