What do you do to cut expenses down?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One way we cut expenses here is to do our own hair care. Mom cuts both our hair and the hair of others in the family and she always has. She's had no training in it, but has just gotten good at it over the many years. She used to give her mother home perms and also my paternal grandmother.

Now it's my turn to give her home perms. I've been doing that since I can remember, as it's just easier to have someone else put in all those tiny rods, especially in wispy thin hair like Mom's.

Tonight we did that again, this old ritual she and I have participated in for three generations now. I love the smell of the perm solution simply because it brings back good memories of us helping each other stay well groomed, memories of my Grandma getting her perms, etc.

We can make a perm last 3 mo. before having to do it again. We can get her home perms for around $6, so around $24 a year to keep her hair curled and easy to style. One time she went to a salon to see if their perms were better and lasted longer...this was just last year. That one cost her $60 plus tip and didn't last a month before the curls fell out. Think about the expense of $60 a month on perms!

That's $720 per year....I figure we are saving $696.00 on hair care per year on her alone, let alone how much we are saving on hair cuts for me and my boys.

Think of the things $696.00 can buy instead of poorly done perms. ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One thing we've been doing the past few years that seems like a no brainer and I've done it in the past, but have grown to appreciate it more nowadays~buy some things in bulk and just use on it all year long. Like cooking oils~regular cooking oil and olive oil~we get in huge jugs at Sam's Club and just pour it into the smaller bottles all year long when we need a refill.

SO much cheaper than buying a new~smaller~bottle each time we need some. We do the same with things like garlic salt(we use a lot of that), minced onions, pepper, etc.

It may seem more expensive when we buy them initially, but when one does the math and figures in taxes on each purchase of the smaller units of these things, it's much, much cheaper over the long run. And it's comforting knowing that one is not actually running out of that item...we have more stored in the cabinet below!

I do a lot of DIY projects here and at my son's place and one thing I do to cut expenses is to scrounge for free materials or super cheap ones. Over the years I've sort of made a game of seeing how cheap I can get by on a build and that game has saved thousands of dollars over the years and it also has provided me much fun and satisfaction, which doesn't really have a price but is worth a lot all the same.

Another thing that I can add to my original list I made on here back when the thread was started is to use fermentation on my chicken's feed. That has cut that expense nearly in half and has increased the health of the flock, as well as the production levels.

I also now encourage more broody hatches, replacing flock members in that way rather than ordering from a hatchery or buying from a feed store. Another thing I do if I didn't grow enough meat stock from my own flock is to pick up free roosters out of the local ads and even retired laying hens, often offered there for a dollar each. This is meat I didn't have to pay on for months to feed to butchering age. I just pen them here and feed them fermented feed until their meat tastes better, then I can them up.

I rotate my vehicle tires every other oil change and I keep up with oil changes, filter changes, other fluid changes...this extends the life of the car, and extends the life of the tires tremendously. I used to feel I couldn't afford to keep up with regular maintenance things like that, but now I know I can't afford NOT to...once I started doing these things, I found it to be preventative maintenance that saved me countless hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars in repair and tire replacement.

I'll have to think about it, but there are more ways we save money here that I haven't listed. One just does them over the years without thinking about it much, but it was originally started out of frugality.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's been forever since I looked at this thread and what fun!! I haven't gone completely through it, but I'll hit it again later today.

I'm still cutting DH's hair, having more trouble with my own as time goes on. My dumbass neck just won't turn like it used to.

I now make simple bar soaps from lard, tallow, olive oil or coconut oil. No scents added. Son and I even made soap with cleaned hamburger grease collected over time. No odor, just like tallow soap. My fav is the coconut oil soap, lots of lather. Both olive oil and coconut oil can be used as a shampoo bar, but I went back to borax water instead of shampoo followed up with diluted ACV. I also use grated coconut oil soap to make a dish soap. There's some diluted Dawn for when you have to break out the big guns, but the homemade stuff is a lot easier on my hands.

I still make all my cleaning supplies - laminate floor cleaner, windows, kitchen, bath. We have mostly hard surface floors. I use a big, 24" commercial type dust mop (with homemade dust mop treatment) for the hard surfaces, then only have to run the vacuum on the area rugs and little piles of crud here and there from the dust mop.

I use Amazon for bulk spices. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was to buy a pound bag of XXX for the same price as a few bottles that held a couple of ounces each.

I really miss the garden aspect. I get most of our eggs locally, offer cash but we often just share stuff. Son harvests edible weeds to add to salads or steam.

All of us here are doing the best we can with what we have. It's nice to share ideas and experiences.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see a need for a new thread. DIY cleaning products. @Marianne : I'm guessing you have a lot of recipes to share. Perhaps there is already a thread where some cleaning product recipes are already posted, and we just need to revive it? I like the idea of a thread where many recipes of like products are stored, instead of a single thread for each and every recipe!

Please tell me about your borax shampoo.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read this thread from front to here a few times. Most I do. But, getting myself into the "mood" to retire, I am working at these things with more gusto! :) Often it's little things -- measure the laundry liquid, don't just pour. :D Use it all (whatever it is) so you don't waste. This is so easy to accomplish with some foods -- dump all into a bag in freezer, then make soup with it...etc. Cats & chickens get scraps, and all that. Make the "little" things count more.

I haven't bought soap or shampoo in ages, or paper towels, napkins, etc. I do buy cans of sanitizer wipes now & then. They are fast & cheap with a coupon, on sale. Love those things to wipe up, off, around. LOL

Currently I am making myself work within my "retirement" money for all except paying for any outside bills...right now, a tractor payment, extra gas to go to work, etc. Things that won't be part of my eventual retirement. I'm weaning myself. :D Buying "great" deal buys for equipment I will need later, while I'm working. I suspect I will abandon one of my 2 part time jobs, keep one for a while -- until I'm comfortable emotionally. :old After all these years, it's hard to not have a "place to go" and a "paycheck". :lol: Sure I will love it when it happens.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most cleaners I can't use due to chemical issues. Dawn is the Devil-I react to it. The only liquid dish washing soap I can use is Palmolive original. I can use Dove original and Ivory soap. I buy a unscented liquid laundry soap. use no dryer sheets, I use wool balls in the dryer. Vinegar and water is my go to for almost everything. I do use bleach, especially when slaughtering and cutting up meat, but I react to it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use a commercial deodorant stone or a salt bar now. I bought a bunch of Himalayan salt cut into body bars years ago and have been using them.

I thought about the salt blocks when I was using one this morning. I bet I've been using the same one for two years. The neighbor that told me about them said the only time she's had to replace hers was when she dropped it and it broke into pieces. They are awesome for stink, still let you sweat. If you need a quick re-fresher between showers, some rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad or tissue will wipe away smell-causing bacteria. You can also use vodka, but hey, I'd rather save that for making vanilla. Or having a mixed drink.

Some days are like that.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If our furniture starts smelling stale or animal stink, I vacumn it real goosd, tehn spray it lightly with white vinegar and let it dry. Once the vinegar small fades ( it fades fast) the room smells so much fresher.

mischief

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I weaned myself off TV, having the radio on for background noise, got a carbon neutral firebox installed with a proper wetback so over winter my hot water bill is zero. I can also cook on the top and often have a pot of vegie soup burbling away.
My eletrical bill is minumal, thanks to 'my hour of power' which is 12-1pm, free power..so good thing I like having my main meal in the middle of the day and thats also when I turn on the washing machine and if I am being naughty, the drier.