What do you do with milk crates?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My hens are laying their eggs in two milk crates placed inside a large plastic barrel. I just renew the shavings every few weeks, since they don't poop in there.
They also serve as el-cheapo canned good storage and book/toy shelves for my kid's rooms.

People throw them away around here! :ep
Well, I guess they steal them and THEN throw them away.
I've grabbed them off the side of the road, in old dump sites, from beside trash bins behind grocery stores.
A little bleach water & bob's your uncle.
delia, that's a great idea, I'm stealing that.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I put the chick's feed under them so the chickens wont eat their food. The chicks can go in and out easily.

I love the idea of putting my cat under one. I'll have to take the sock off his head first. :p

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I think I've used them for everything mentioned! Loved taking them to the garden for gathering potatoes, gourds, corn, etc. They make great toy boxes, and I've even used them to carry my glass milk bottles back to the store for the recycle $$$ (kept them from roaming around the trunk and breaking). So if you an think it, use it! LOL

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
To plant in them, I just put some scraps of landscape fabric on the bottm, linded the sides with hay, then fille with potting soil- I used them for growing herb as it drailed so well and they grew through the top sides and made a bushing little box that I could move in or out as cold dictated.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
To plant in them, I just put some scraps of landscape fabric on the bottm, linded the sides with hay, then fille with potting soil- I used them for growing herb as it drailed so well and they grew through the top sides and made a bushing little box that I could move in or out as cold dictated.
ok, now THAT is a cool idea!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
besides things that were already mentioned,
we use them to protect young plants from the chickens and cats (using a freshly dug bed for litter box)

Cover the sunflower heads and corn that we are drying, keeps most birds and chickens out - sort of

stack two on top of each other and use them to hold garden tools. the handles for many will fit through the openings. We cut a few slats to make the holes bigger, but that was a little difficult.

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We use ours for both a dappled shade & protection for growing plants & in winter to protect cut back tender perinneals by filling with shredded leaves or straw & then using yard staples to hold the crate in place - in spring we remove the crate & spread the composting "mulch" around the plants projected drip line.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
nop169 said:
We use ours for both a dappled shade & protection for growing plants & in winter to protect cut back tender perinneals by filling with shredded leaves or straw & then using yard staples to hold the crate in place - in spring we remove the crate & spread the composting "mulch" around the plants projected drip line.
Good idea!

:welcome

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
nop169 said:
:frow :welcome