What do you do with milk crates?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Scotch tape on cat paw is hysterical! Sorry, no cats were harmed during the typing of that post.

I love the idea of putting my cat under one. I'll have to take the sock off his head first.

Since we all happen to be cat lovers here, I will be glad to share how to give a cat a bath so you don't get all scratched up. First, liberally apply shampoo or dawn dishwashing liquid to the cat's back(dawn kills fleas). Then drop cat in a clean toilet and quickly slam lid. Flush. Flush again. Don't worry about sounds coming from the toilet cat, he/she is actually enjoying this. Flush repeatedly several more times. Peek carefully through the crack between the toilet bowl and seat to see if all soap suds are gone. If satisfied, lift lid. ( be sure bathroom door is closed) Then trap cat under milk crate which confines the cat, making it much easier to blow dry him/her without fear of getting your arm torn off. Your cat should be making lots of deep growly noises, punctuated by shrieks of joy. When the cat's fur begins to smoke, it is dry. You may now open the bathroom door (failure to do so may result in torn wallpaper as he/she makes laps around the room trying desparately to find a way out so he/she can show off his/her clean shiny slightly singed fur). You may now lift the milk crate.

And that folks, is what you can use a milk crate for.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
At my old place, I turned 2 on their sides and set a 2 x 10 on it for a shelf. Filled the shelves and the crates with gallon jars of beans, grains, pasta, etc. and called it a pantry.

This place needs something like that, but I only have one right now and it has my files in it. Perfect size for them.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use some crates to keep my chest freezers organized. It makes it easy when I can lift out the crate full of carrots to get to the ground beef under it.

When I had more kids at home, I used them for laundry. As I folded a load of clothes, I would put each child's clothing into a separate crate, then line them up on the stairs for the boys to take up and put away.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I put newspaper in the bottom of mine and use it to put my coop shoes in. I have it right by the back door, and I scoot it up to the door so when I come in, I step right in...no snow/straw/poop on the floor.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
baymule said:
Scotch tape on cat paw is hysterical! Sorry, no cats were harmed during the typing of that post.

I love the idea of putting my cat under one. I'll have to take the sock off his head first.

Since we all happen to be cat lovers here, I will be glad to share how to give a cat a bath so you don't get all scratched up. First, liberally apply shampoo or dawn dishwashing liquid to the cat's back(dawn kills fleas). Then drop cat in a clean toilet and quickly slam lid. Flush. Flush again. Don't worry about sounds coming from the toilet cat, he/she is actually enjoying this. Flush repeatedly several more times. Peek carefully through the crack between the toilet bowl and seat to see if all soap suds are gone. If satisfied, lift lid. ( be sure bathroom door is closed) Then trap cat under milk crate which confines the cat, making it much easier to blow dry him/her without fear of getting your arm torn off. Your cat should be making lots of deep growly noises, punctuated by shrieks of joy. When the cat's fur begins to smoke, it is dry. You may now open the bathroom door (failure to do so may result in torn wallpaper as he/she makes laps around the room trying desparately to find a way out so he/she can show off his/her clean shiny slightly singed fur). You may now lift the milk crate.

And that folks, is what you can use a milk crate for.
Thank you for the laugh, sides still hurting... :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe I should have used Dawn on my cats the other day instead of baby shampoo! And, at least for Rerun, that's probably how I should have washed her. She was NOT happy w/her bath, and would have quite cheerfully clawed my face.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Does that method work for kids?

My chickens use milk crates to lay eggs in, whether I like it or not.