What ever happened to Community

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
What you say breconbcs, makes me think . . . there are certain "survival skills" that you learn from living in the city that you just can't take out of the city folk. Well, out of most city folk. Some of these "skills" might seem maladaptive to country living, however the way the world is these days, I think you cannot be too careful. . . .

I was raised by very city-oriented parents, so for me locking up my stuff (dwelling, car, etc.) is just something I do not question. However we now live in a more relaxed, more rural setting and I found it kind of bizarre that some of the neighbors actually view locking one's gate to one's property as being offensive. I can maybe see how it would interfere with getting to know each other, etc., but then these very same people turn around and complain about burglaries, and all the while let their dogs roam the countryside. I just have to wonder why they think we are crazy for protecting our property and our free-ranging ducks. :/

Now, that is not to excuse anyone for not being friendly, but I think there is also some merit in the "don't talk to strangers" mentality of the city folk. However, I always thought that mentality gave very little credit to the kids and did not allow for them to learn who they can trust and who they cannot. Growing up, I always tried to walk that line, but my mom was definitely one of those "don't talk to anyone who hasn't been pre-approved types." :rolleyes:

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden you are right. I am the first to admit that I picked up some of those "survival skills" when we moved and I still raise my kids with many of them because of the way the world is these days. When growing up it was not "normal" to lock the house, at 6 or 7 I could come and go as I pleased as long as I was home for dinner. I never do this with my own kids. When they go for bike rides, they have cell phones, watches and have to call or be home at certain times to check in. We lock the house all the time and it's second nature to hit the lock button on the car remote when I walk away from it. DH still leaves the keys in the ignition and unlocked, drives me nuts. We believe in the don't talk to strangers, but we also trust that we raised our kids right and they know who to and not to talk to. Kids need to be able to make mistakes but more importantly they need to be taught by example. They will only treat people the way they see people (mainly their parents) treat others.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I agree that the way parents act very much washes off on the kids, though not completely . . . once the kids become old enough they learn more through their friends than their parents, and some can and do change their attitudes and ways.

Well, I guess I was also thinking that people need to be led by example and don't change over night.

I think many people are looking for that community sense that we have thrown away as a society. Most of us now need to be taught, and probably won't change much, but yes, there is hope for the kids.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:p You guys would freak out if you came to my house! My house key is always in my front door unless we are leaving for a weekend trip or just gone for the whole day. This is the place that it is easiest to find..... :D The truck keys stay in the truck at all times when its parked at the house.

I've had people ask why I leave the key in the door and the keys in the truck. Its one part lazy, one part indifference....and one part knows I have nothing worth stealing, I'm too old and fat to molest and someone may need to get in to use the phone while I'm gone or someone may need to move, or even use, the truck. :D

If I lived in a more populated area, I, too, might be more cautious. I love the fact that I've lived here for 2 years, right by the main highway, and have never had any kind of "incident". The key to real freedom must be not owning anything that anyone would bother to haul away! :gig :lol: :lol:

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden wrote: I agree that the way parents act very much washes off on the kids, though not completely . . . once the kids become old enough they learn more through their friends than their parents, and some can and do change their attitudes and ways.

I hear that one! I have a 17 yr old boy...nuf said. :he :he :he

Beekissed wrote: My house key is always in my front door unless we are leaving for a weekend trip or just gone for the whole day. This is the place that it is easiest to find..... The truck keys stay in the truck at all times when its parked at the house.

I use to not mind so much, except with his work truck as it's not ours and he's responsible for it if something happens but last year there was a rash of break ins in our area. They did catch them but not till they had done it to over 20 homes/cottages - 3 of them on our road. Course dh was worried about them stealing his tv, I was more worried about them hurting the dogs or taking them. Otherwise we have nothing of value to steal (I keep hoping someone will steal the boat...lol). Since then, it's just become habit to lock the door.

et: correct spelling

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Bee, you are 100% correct. The best security is not having anything valuable or caring about losing anything.

I think I'm more worried about my personal and financial documents than anything we own. LOL I think the one thing someone stole from me that irked me the most was some flowers from my front yard.

I also lock my gate, because at our last house someone once knocked on the door and asked if we sold . . . "you know." :rolleyes: No, I don't know what they wanted exactly, but got the drift. Then one night I happened to hear people on our front stoop . . . I think it was a drug deal. Sooooo . . . yeah, we moved and now we keep our gate locked. It also helps deter the holy roller types. :lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
breconbcs said:
I hear that one! I have a 17 yr old boy...nuf said. :he :he :he
Well, it will just make you that much prouder, when you see what qualities you have tried to instill in him that he chooses to revert to. Trust me, it happens! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've never been bothered by Jehovah Witnesses.....funny how that has never happened. My sis is one but lives in the next county. Maybe even they don't want the weirdo SSer in their little "club"! :D What is that old saw about not wanting to belong to any organization that would have me as a member? :lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think you have to be home in the middle of a week day to run into a Jehovah's Witness. At least that seems to be when they have "caught" me. :p Either that or your sister has warned them! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Yeah, she tried once about 23 years ago and never since. Guess I'm a lost cause! :lol: Just not JW material...not quite docile enough for the rigors of their program, I'm afraid. :rolleyes: