What ever happened to Community

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back more to the topic....

My husband went up to Idaho this week to check on our property and to go to a hearing on a proposed development that does not meet zoning standards.

Seems a bad wind came through and tore off some of the building wrap on our new building...
our neighbor went by the following day and stapled it up for us.

Neighbors have called us several times to let us in on whats happening in the neighborhood, and it's actually what got dh to go to the above mentioned meetings.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Mackay said:
MorelCabin said:
Mackay said:
But as far as CP and social workers go...it that were happening to me I'd be looking for a new place to live dam right quick. They are the eyes and hands of big brother and they love to take children away from parents.
Actually here in Canada they are a privately owned corporation but get some funds by the government
Privately owned corporation does not mean that they are not subject to big brother and big brothers ways. What do they have to do to keep their business sustainable? Keep busy controlling other's kids?
Oh but they are not subject to big brother...that is one of the biggest issues...they are a law unto themselves, and yes, they do have to have a caseload to keep thier books in the black.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Back more to the topic....

My husband went up to Idaho this week to check on our property and to go to a hearing on a proposed development that does not meet zoning standards.

Seems a bad wind came through and tore off some of the building wrap on our new building...
our neighbor went by the following day and stapled it up for us.

Neighbors have called us several times to let us in on whats happening in the neighborhood, and it's actually what got dh to go to the above mentioned meetings.
Now that is a good neighbor:>)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know....reading this post has reminded me of a situation we had here 2 years after we moved into this closed tight community to which e are NOT a part of.
Saturdays, hubby and I do most of our work, so Sundays, we can enjoy our blessings. We love to sit on the front porch untill late in the morning..and drink coffee, and just veg. Well...across the road is a small Church of God. Hubby and I are not members, nor do we plan to be. As we sat on our porch, Sunday services would let out, we would try to be neighborly, and wave to the people as they left, just a friendly, " howdya do" Well, we noticed not ONE of them would wave...and most would flip thier heads the other direction as if to say...I hope they didnt see me looking. So, we stopped trying to be friendly...we just sat in silence. Well, after a few months..one of the men that goes there, who retired from our local post office stopped by, to envite us to thier church as he had several times. Very nice man...I enjoy visiting with him. This one day in particular, I guess I had a bee in my bonnett..and I told him how we are treated by the parishoners, as they left thier church. I told him how it makes us feel as we are outsiders, and that we will never be accepted , but that we are fine with it. If they cant be friendly...then I will stop trying. Well, of course he tried to explain it away, saying they " are not like that in his church" and that " everyone is very friendly" Well, I just thanked him for stopping by, and he left. A few Sundays passed...and we again were on the porch as services let out. Im telling you the honest truth...almost every car that pulled out of there...they would roll thier windows down, and almost fall out of thier cars, waveing at us! Im sorry...but I know Jim had made a speach to the congregation, and told them how we felt...and probably instructed them to " be friendly" Nope....I wont wave back...I wont look up at them. I dont want to be a part of something, when people have to be TOLD to be nice. As "christians" it should come naturally. There are no "community" feelings here. Its "fend for yourselves" Sad really....I long for the "old days" when your neighbor was like family, and everyone helped everyone and expected nothing in return.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ahhhh, I hear you loud and clear. Some churches are just not friendly. Others are very friendly. They all have thier issues, mind you, but they all have thier blessings as well:>)
The church is definitely not the community icon it used to be, I wish it still was, but everything has changed, both in the community and the church. I hope one day you find a church that you like, and if not, I do hope you find God if you haven't already:>) The church is not always an ideal representation of Him...but He sure does make a difference...to the point of leading YOU to integrate into these churches and maybe make a difference

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Funny about the waving thingy.....that's one of the reasons I moved where I live now. The very first day I drove through this county, every single person waved at me as we passed. I kid you not! I almost got tired of waving back! I mentioned it to a man I met that day and he said, "Likely they think you are someone they know." I replied, " Then I must be someone who knows everyone!" :p

The people here aren't actually that friendly, more nosey than anything, but they mostly leave me alone which is what I really cherish anyway, so that is cool. Its not like my old church community, where everyone helped everyone else get in their hay and crops. That was nice and there was a lot of visiting back then....not so much now.

I think its just a sign of the times. Everyone inside watching TV instead of out on their swings waving people down to talk to them! ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Morelcabin. Hubby and I have found the Lord. We just havent found him in a church. We give thanks for everything we have daily. We talk to Him, and fall on him in times of need as well. I dont personally think ( this is MY opinion) that a person has to go to a church, to be a good Christian...or a good follower of The Word. I know, when you can find the right place, that the support you can get from your church can be the most wonderfull feeling ever. Unfortunately, we have not had that blessing. We have been to several churches, only to be disapointed by "rivalry" inside. People compete to be the best dressed, or drive the newest car...and I almost always hear someone talking about how " so and so did this last week, and should be ashamed" THAT to me is not good fellowship. My husband and I have a very close relationship with our Lord..and we feel we have been blessed beyond what we deserve. We are happy and content with our situation, and hope everyone else is happy with thier own situations..be it IN a church community, or not...I just wish peace on everyone. Of course we dont have a church we can tithe to...but we feel we give back to the Lord through our actions. Praise, love, and trying to spread The WORD when we can. I do long for fellowship sometimes...I just have not felt it through this small community.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't stand to go to church because of the people in it.

Terrible thing to say I know, but I just can't handle it, for reasons I won't go into here.

You're right Morel, HE does make a difference.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I haven't yet found a church that lives what they preach and I searched, believe me! I finally came to the conclusion that it is the impossible dream and so we just settled down in the least offensive church we could find.

My kids and I needed the fellowship(what little there is of it in our church) and we needed to have a "center" of worship. I figure that our presence may influence those who are not quite so.....well....who aren't filled with the love of God and are what most would consider hypocrits. We have quite a few who are outright prejudice, which is hard for me to understand or even swallow.

So, we pour honey all over everyone, live how we expect others to live~with a joyous heart and love for our fellow man~and hope that the sour, jaded folks are enriched by our presence. :p :D If nothing else, it will tick them off whenever they have to shake our hands! :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, thats wonderfull that you can feel that way. Maybe I am not as confident in myself. I have met several of these people, and feel there is no changeing them. They had a preacher, and his wife for a few years. This preacher did ride a Harley. He and his wife did charity runs for cancer patients. He and his wife had just came back from a run...both wearing black leather chaps, and jackets. They were stopped in town talking to friends, when several of the parishoners saw them there, " in leathers" A few weeks later, they "church congregation" decided he was not the preacher they wanted...and told him, " because he rides a motorcycle, and wears leathers" no matter what the cause. "Image" So sad. I know there is no way that I myself, could change THIS community. Its OK, I am comfortable where I am..in my own little place. However Bee...I do have to say...KUDO's to YOU and your family...for trying to change those sour grapes into a palatable wine. :)