What household product can you do without?

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I rarely if ever use bleach, and I switched my shower head to the kind with a hose, so now I spray the shower down with the hose when done and no longer use the shower cleaner spray.

Another thing I was recently thrilled to eliminate was cotton facial pads. You know, like cotton balls, but they are flat pads to use on your face? I was using a lot of them with astringent or water etc to freshen up. Last week I found these great little cellulose facial sponges. Same size and concept as the facial pads, but you rinse it and re-use it! I'm loving it!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dr. Bronners Tea Tree soap. I love the stuff! I can totally live without it but just don't want to till I have to! I buy it in huge containers and keep some in back stock. I wash my hair with it ( I have dread locks) and use it for all my household cleaning sans windows. Sure, I could use baking soda, ACV or what not, but nothing says "clean' to me like tea tree.

I am kind of new here.. is there a thread on making laundry soap that i have missed? what about dishwasher soap? We currently use only soap nuts for laundry, but I hated the shamPoo that you make with it

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
dacjohns said:
I can do without a Swiffer.
The swiffer was a great idea by the inventors, now they have folks buying the refill things on a regular basis... the commercials drive me nuts! I hate the things!
The handles are flimsy, but then again, I am Woman Strong Like Bull.

I stopped using the pads because a kitchen hand towel folded in half holds more liquid and cleans deeper.

Laughing to myself because I make it sound like I ever mop the floor....

Cargo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Toilet paper. It is convenient but you can live without it.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
FDS,
Raid,
and
douches.

Pretty much all the same thing.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Our electric can opener broke awhile ago, so we just got a regular can opener. And, I stopped using fabric softener a long time ago. Haven't missed it in the least. I don't buy the swiffer junk. For cleaning windows, instead of paper towels, I use those micro fabric towels. They work quite well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea when my can opener dies I will just use my hand can opener.
why pay for electricity right? lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can live without anything that has a smell to it. To clear the room of bad odors, strike a kitchen match, let it burn for a moment then blow it out. This works well for stinky bathroom trips too. :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
No chemical cleaners allowed in our house.
Ever looked at the ingredients on things like the Swiffer?
Yeah, formaldehyde does not rank as a safe cleaner for me ;)

Baking Soda
Vinegar
Dawn dishsoap
Thats all I use, and will not do without!

Bad odor? clean the room and strike a match if absolutly needed.
Better then that though, is to light a beeswax candle.