What I did right today........... or enough doom and gloom

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
I finally got a good coat of paint on our old barn, I mean garage...as well as scraping and priming our outdoor windowsills. How do you high-five yourself? :cool:

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This morning I awoke with a tummy ache, but I still got up to go check on the meat birds and they were just about out of water. I went and filled the water jug and the water for all the other animals.

I then went to get the wheelbarrow to clean out the meat birds house, if you've never clened one of those, you ain't cleaned nothing. :lol: Broke up a fight between our W. Leghorn roo and 1 of our male Pekin ducks. made sure all feed containers were full.

Came in after 2 hours of work and went to fixing us some dinner. Had meatball subs. Afterwards got to feeling bad (cold coming on) so I went outside to make sure all water was still full and then went ot take a nap.

After the nap I went and made corndogs and fries for supper. Didn't feel like cooking all that much. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know, about those waterers? I am going to go to nipple waterers tomorrow. The nipple will fit on 2 ltr. pop bottles and I can keep one by the back door and change out when they freeze each night. No more spilling, can see at a glance if they are getting low, and easier to fill and replenish.

Commercial growers use nipple waterers and the birds learn quickly how to use them. I used to use them with my rabbits and it was so much more efficient and less labor intensive. What do you think?

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
That's an interesting suggestion, Beekissed. How do you suspend or hang them? Is there some DIY method?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those bottles usually come with a wire sling of sorts that hook easily into a few well-placed steeples on the wall. As I am going to use the 2 ltr. bottles, I will be fashioning my own wire bracket, of a similar nature, out of wire. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy! :D

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Oh cool! :D I guess you can buy the nipples separately, without the bottles?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK I finally finished painting the chicken coop! FINALLY! Been working on that one all summer LOL First we ran out of the paint, and I wasn't wanting to spend $30 on another gallon, so I procrastinated. My parents bought a gallon of barn red for their coop for $12 so I figured I would, too, and just re-paint what I had already painted.

Total DOH! moment! The barn red paint matches the "specialty mixed" paint we had bought!! My husband and I were less than pleased with ourselves!

Regardless, for $12 we finished painting the coop. Now we need to finish the barn.

After I finished painting I scrubbed out the feeders and waters. Decided since cold weather is fast approaching to move the feeders and waters inside the coops. Got that done, filled feeders and waterers, and feel pretty pleased with my efforts today.

Now we are going to try to build a door in a bit for my new brooder that we built inside the other coop! :D

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I finished the nesting boxes for the Barred Rocks, and actually got them placed and strawed, lol....canned chicken soup, and baked 2 loaves of bread....even managed a nap in there! lol