What if DH/DW Couldn't?

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Building a chute system and training my sheep to it would solve the sheep handling problems. However, DH sees no point in it, and I can't build it myself. Someday DH is going to get seriously injured when sorting sheep and have a change of heart.

I bought a moldable rubber to put over latches. I need to install my prototypes on my chicken coop door. I want to replace the metal bucket we use in the barn. The handle is bent so that it's easy to slash water on one's legs (and I do too often!). I would use the moldable rubber to cover the bucket handle. This is low priority because DH has been willing to do winter chores, but it's a problem I CAN solve.
Maybe duct tape would work better, or duct tape over a pool noodle. I don’t know how tough moldable plastic is and it just popped to mind.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Maybe duct tape would work better, or duct tape over a pool noodle. I don’t know how tough moldable plastic is and it just popped to mind.
I'm sure a pool noodle would work but I bet DH would take it off. That was my plan until I learned about moldable rubber.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If I can't keep the farm (and I probably can't), one of my ideas is a tiny house on a small city yard, landscape/garden the entire yard so there's nothing to mow. Sure would cut down on grass invading the garden too!

local regulations are very changeable as to what some cities will allow. even more so if you have an ex who can call the city and have them harrass you about letting some wildflowers bloom in your front lawn for a few weeks... (yes this actually happened to my gf). so you always have to be leery and check up on what you can do before you invest or spend a lot of time and energy only to find out you can't fence out the neighbor's dogs/cats/etc or you can't let plants bloom and set seeds, etc.

it is very much a good thing to be able to control all the edges of the gardens. i have many here that i'd love to have the grasses gone and replace them with easier to manage ground covers. currently a huge amount of weeding gets done by Mom and me simply because she doesn't want to get rid of the places we're mowing. i'd much rather put those efforts into weeding the garden area it could be converted into but that isn't going to happen any time soon that i can tell so i just get on with what i can do and work around the rest of it as best i can. :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Id love a camomile lawn in a few spots. It won't overwinter well with our wet, though. Those were popular once, before the grass obsession.

Of course, before the first lawn herbicides, a grassy lawn was supposed to be equal parts clover and grass. Made it stay looking better when the grass went dormant because no one would have thought of watering a lawn.

Then the chemical companies wanted to make money with their new "weed killer" that no one was buying because it killed the clover. So they ran so many ads proclaiming it got rid of unsightly clover and made better lawns.

Same marketing tactics and brainwashing that got people to start buying diamond engagement rings, safety razors to shave legs, and cake mixes as examples. People fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Heck, halitosis is a made up marketing word from the 70s to sell alcohol based mouthwash that makes the problem worse by drying out the mouth. (Don't use mouthwash unless you need a fluoride rinse. The rest don't actually help anything. If you must have something, use salt water as it helps with bacteria.)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Today worked out okay. Not getting to the apples tonight, she is worried about the sauce sticking/burning in her instapot.

We both will sleep soundly tonight I think.

Been doing the canning thing too long by myself. Lolol. Had to stop and explain to her what I was doing and what the next step is.

Bottom line, we're happy about today and made a good memory.

Latest posts