What recommended wastefullness do you avoid?

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use towels 2 or 3 times before washing them, after all after you come out of the shower arent you clean? And Im guilty of the twice a week shower, I have winter dry skin so in between if I have to I just take a sink bath. I wear my jeans a couple times before washing if they arent dirty, they last longer too that way. I dont use dryer sheets, I switched to liquid and only use a fraction of what it calls for. When my son was real young I would shower in the front of the tub while he bathed in the back, neither of us was real dirty but dont ever tell his friends about it :lol: And we watch tv in the dark to save electricity. We also use the toaster oven in stead of the big oven for stuff like french frys and fish sticks. Honestly I havent used the oven in months. I got a small tank of propane for the oven 2 years ago December when we moved in and it hasnt run out yet.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The wife and I do a lot of what has already been suggested....but...
I also use my motor oil more than once. :D I do a "full service" oil change(oil AND filter) ....go my 5000 miles,then just change the filter only, add enough oil to bring it to full, and go another 5000 miles, then do another full service. I change the filter every time,but only change the oil ever other time. Now...before anyone gets up on their high horse and says that's foolish and hard on your engine, I am a certified Master Auto/Truck tech, certified Chrysler tech and have aircraft maintenance experience as well, with over 35 years total experience. Both of our current vehicle have over 150,000 miles on the original drivetrains. If you decide to do this,make certain you use a very high quality oil AND filters,and don't stretch your service intervals any at all. I use a synthetic oil or at the very least, a synthetic blend.

THEN....I burn my used motor oil in a waste oil furnace to heat my shop. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hit a closeout price on dryer sheets so cheap and bought like 25 boxes. I have tons of them to use up!

BUT---I cut my in 4ths. Yup, it takes very little of that dryer sheet to give softness and good smell.

So instead of in half, go for broke and 4th them like I do...LOL

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do skimp out on laundry detergent.
Alternate baking soda and toothpaste.
I don't use a dryer so not muss/fuss with dryer sheets.
I stretch out the showering - particularly in winter...making do with "birdbaths" in between. And my towels hang dry and are re-used a few times before laundering.

So - nothing new there from what others here are doing.

I do serve water at all meals...does that count?
I use only white flat sheets (they always match) and rotate them for a second week of use before laundering.
OH, and I don't buy kleenex...use cloth hankies. I want to get inspired and do some placemat/napkin combos, as well.

(do I get to keep my Cheap Card?)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You rule at cheap! Platinum card!

I am making a bunch of flannel napkins for my mom from an old sheet. It counts if you help others be cheap, too, in my book.

I have a client who wants to be a stay-at-home mom when she has her first baby next month....I am preparing a gift for her with homemade laundry soap and instructions for all the laundry aids, some homemade baby wipes from flannel with a printout on possible solutions to use with them, and a starter kit of various feminine products with patterns and another printout included.

Any other ideas? She and her dh are great people and I want to help her stay home and be with her dd!

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
You rule at cheap! Platinum card!

I am making a bunch of flannel napkins for my mom from an old sheet. It counts if you help others be cheap, too, in my book.

I have a client who wants to be a stay-at-home mom when she has her first baby next month....I am preparing a gift for her with homemade laundry soap and instructions for all the laundry aids, some homemade baby wipes from flannel with a printout on possible solutions to use with them, and a starter kit of various feminine products with patterns and another printout included.

Any other ideas? She and her dh are great people and I want to help her stay home and be with her dd!
When my daughter had her baby 2 years ago, I was appalled at the things that she thought were "necessary" for the child.

This will be for a little later on (depending on what school of thought you adhere to)...I used to spin dry rice in a blender for my own infant rice cereal. Not quite to a flour consistency but almost. Add to warmed milk for a couple of minutes - thin at first and increasing thickness as the baby gets more used to it. You can also just put into applesauce or even yogurt.

I have a very funny story about making my own baby food...but don't want to hijack.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I hit a closeout price on dryer sheets so cheap and bought like 25 boxes. I have tons of them to use up!

BUT---I cut my in 4ths. Yup, it takes very little of that dryer sheet to give softness and good smell.

So instead of in half, go for broke and 4th them like I do...LOL
OK FarmerChick, i'll quarter 'em and give them a try!