What recommended wastefullness do you avoid?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That IS funny. For toothpaste, we all can picture the enormous glob on commercials and ads. But deodorant? Does anybody ever put on the "recommended amount?" Or do you mean you wear it fewer days than most people would recommend? That's where I would fit. If I'm going out, I might remember to put some on. If not, it's just me :)

How about ditching storebought V-day cards and making homemade love notes?

If going out to eat, share a meal with a friend or family member.

Reaction score
We almost always share meals when we eat out. Usually the meals are so large that they're hard for one person to eat. We also stay away from the drinks. If we want a little buzz we buy a couple of those little bottles like they use on planes and drink them before we go in. Reminds me of my Army days. Drink a 2.00 six pack of bud before we went in the EM club. Saved a lot of money that way.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Another thing we'll do is buy a box of pancake mix, make the whole box and freeze the pancakes in empty bread bags, kids love the pancakes and this usually last 2 weeks and you can buy a box of pancake mix at Aldis for a little over a dollar.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I do something similar with french toast- if there is egg and milk mixture left, I just keep frying up the toast and put the extra iin a freezer bag. Then pop them into a toaster to refresh. A nice quick thing for breakfast.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ahhh french Toast, never even thought of that! its easy and cheap, and really good! Thanks for sharing, we'll try that after the pancakes run out!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do most all of these things you all do.

When my kids were growing up, I kept frozen pancakes and french toast and waffles on hand. Great for school day mornings, snacks, and especially when you are sick and don't want to look at food. Almost any age kid can pop one into the toaster.

I also don't take showers every day. I try to a lot, it just doesn't work out-waaay toooo busy!!

I don't use the recommended amount of anything. I use how much is needed to do the job.

Sometimes I use more than is recommended if I think the job needs it.

We stopped buying cards long ago. We either make them or visit or call. It is ridiculous to pay $2-$4 for a piece of paper that most people throw out. We save all of our cards. I have been very glad that I do when I've lost someone and can now go back through my cards and read the sentiments that they wrote to me.

I stopped using dryer sheets when I read that they reduce the life of your dryer. They cause a build up on your clothes and on the lint screen. Your dryer has to work harder and longer when your screen isn't clear. Take it and run water over it. Does it pool up or run right through?? It should run right through. I have been washing mine once every week or two depending on the amount of laundry done. The build up on your clothes makes them wear out faster. Since I stopped using them I have noticed sooo much difference in my dryer/drying time and in the way the clothes look and feel.

I wash towels once every two weeks; you really SHOULD be clean when getting out of the shower, after all. sheets I change every two weeks(unless I have been plagued with night sweats).
Blankets once a month. kitchen things get changed often though.

Monica

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cknmom said:
I stopped using dryer sheets when I read that they reduce the life of your dryer. They cause a build up on your clothes and on the lint screen. Your dryer has to work harder and longer when your screen isn't clear. Take it and run water over it. Does it pool up or run right through?? It should run right through. I have been washing mine once every week or two depending on the amount of laundry done. The build up on your clothes makes them wear out faster. Since I stopped using them I have noticed sooo much difference in my dryer/drying time and in the way the clothes look and feel.

I wash towels once every two weeks; you really SHOULD be clean when getting out of the shower, after all. sheets I change every two weeks(unless I have been plagued with night sweats).
Blankets once a month. kitchen things get changed often though.

Monica
I don't use dryer sheets on anything that should absorb water, because they leave a layer on cloth that eventually builds up and makes your towels and such less absorbent. I had wondered if this was a myth, but guess not since you've heard of it also. :) I also don't wash my bath towels very often, same with bed sheets. They're just not dirty after one or two uses!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
For any of you with wood heat or some space where you could hang clothes inside, hang clothes up yearround! It saves us sometimes about 12 hours per week of dryer time. Our basement has a wood stove, so my husband rigged up clothesline in the basement. The clothes add back much-needed moisture to the air and line dry. Plus, it saves wear and tear on clothes!

Brelansmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~I never buy paper towels or paper napkins, we use cloth napkins, and if I need to drain something greasy, like fried chicken or fish, I keep a few stained napkins separate, and use those.

~I re-use as many ziplocs as I can,if they aren't too gross with something sticky or greasy, I just rinse them out and turn inside out to dry.

~I buy a solid block of mozzarella cheese, and cut it into 'string cheese' size strips, it is the SAME cheese, but about 1/3 of te price.

~My 3 yr old DD loves to 'clean' with the moist wipes from the bathroom, but she will use half a package in one 'cleaning' spree, so I found her old cloth wipes from her diapered days, and she uses those now, she can rinse and repeat instead of throwing them away.

~I use old toothbrushes to clean with instead of buying cleaning brushes.

~Use only cold water in the washing machine.

~I am working on getting rain barrels set up.

I have been working VERY hard at being frugal, and 'green' since my DD was born. It seems you think more about the planet, and what legacy you are leaving behind more, after you become a parent. :love

After 3 years of striving for a SS lifestyle, it is (finally) becoming second nature, so I KNOW I do more than is listed here, but it escapes my mind at the moment.

If I think of anything else I feel might be usefull to someone else, I will post later.

( I am SUPER excited about making my own laundery & dish washer detergant! Thanks to all here who inspired me to do so!)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, tell me if this is too gross. In one day, I only use one glass/mug. I just keep using the same one. If I'm drinking water or juice or (heaven forbid), soda, I just keep on going. If I have milk, I give it a small rinse. If at all possible, I re-use my other utensils. This is clearly not always possible or healthy, but is a plate you had a sandwich on really dirty? Oh noes, crumbs! I know some people who will have a glass of OJ at breakfast, soda at lunch, and milk at dinner and use THREE cups. Just seems weird to me.

...maybe I'M the weird one.