What recommended wastefullness do you avoid?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This one is so obvious I had forgotten about in until I just washed my hands. I buy the foaming soap dispensers so I can refill them with watered down soap. Target has their own brand that is pretty cheap.

I like to refill with liquid castile soap like Dr Bronner's or Desert Essence, 1 part soap to 4 parts water, shake it up! Dish detergent, too, in the kitchen, for those quick squirts on the sponge.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So I took a shower...lathered, rinsed....and thought of all of you while I chose for the first time NOT to repeat :p

eggzettra

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well except for being incredibly wasteful regarding the oil in my car (great post :thumbsup ) I do everything that you all do....

One thing that I do that I didn't see was I cut my SOS pads, enough of a portion to get what I need done so the rest of the pad doesn't rust out.......

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I might get banned on this site...but I have a bit of OCD, with washing--I shower at least once a day and wash my hair. I also wash the sheets, towels, dishtowels/clothes after each use. I KNOW it's very wasteful but it really freaks me out when I don't.. I have really tried over and over not washing the sheets each morning but I don't sleep, I scratch, feel itchy--not clean... I tried just hanging them on the line to 'refresh' them and that didn't work.. And I am NOT going to wash/dry dishes with a used cloth...NOT to mention reuse a towel/washcloth... It just freaks me out and there is nothing I can do about it. But I only wash full loads, I only use tiny amounts of det. and I use my clothesline when ever possible.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I won't kick you out Dixie, but can you come over my house?? ;) My sheets could use a changing!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Electronic stuff. I don't buy the latest gadgets. I still have the original cell phone I bought 6 years ago.
It went through the wash about a week ago (forgot to take it out of my pants pocket) and I had put the wash through an extra rinse cycle, since the clothes were especially dirty.
Well, the phone didn't work right after that, so I took it to Verizon where I had originally bought it. They took one look at it and at me and said that they can't help me, because my phone is too old. They don't carry any parts for it. They consider any phone over two years old as outdated and won't have parts. The employees were kind enough to direct me to a company online and I was able to get the replacemant part I needed.
I have friends that buy a new computer every other year and also purchase whatever new gimmicky gadget comes out. Fortunately for us, they have given us an "old" computer and it works just fine for me. Most other gadgets they offer us, (because it is old and they are upgrading) we decline. Thanks but no thanks, we don't need another something that uses electricity to function and that we probably have no use for anyway.
People seem to think we are deprived, because we don't play xbox or whatever. They don't realize that we are too busy to play those games. We actually have a gameboy (it was my stepson's), but we rather go outside and watch our chickens or go fishing or make something out of stuff we have that we can then use on our farm.
I occasionally play a game on the computer and we watch videos. But weeks can go by where we don't watch any movies, or if we do, we fall asleep in the middle of it and miss the ending. That's what happens, when you do good honest work out in the fresh air. ;)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
I use less deodorant than recommended.
OK, I admit I laughed when I read this and had a smart remark ready to post, but I looked at my and DH's deodorant/antiperspirant containers. They gave no recommended amount. Even funnier now!