What recommended wastefullness do you avoid?

Brelansmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Okay, tell me if this is too gross. In one day, I only use one glass/mug. I just keep using the same one. If I'm drinking water or juice or (heaven forbid), soda, I just keep on going. If I have milk, I give it a small rinse. If at all possible, I re-use my other utensils. This is clearly not always possible or healthy, but is a plate you had a sandwich on really dirty? Oh noes, crumbs! I know some people who will have a glass of OJ at breakfast, soda at lunch, and milk at dinner and use THREE cups. Just seems weird to me.

...maybe I'M the weird one.
I too have a hard time using more than one glass a day, maybe it's my Dads voice echoing in my head..."How many glasses do you need in one day?! CLOSE THE FRIDGE DOOR! Turn off the lights, you can't be in more than one room at a time!..." I guess it's in my blood. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ha-ha! :gig I TRY to use only one mug and one glass per day.....dh can't pass it by, he picks it up and puts it in the dishwasher....even a mug of hot tea gets dumped if I leave the room or run outside for a few minutes!!! Then he asks me why I use so many dishes every day??? :th

Now I hold my mug in front of him and say, "Repeat after me....don't dump my tea!!" It has become a joke between us. He still does it. :rant

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yay, it's not just me! I was talking to a lady the other day... She told me about some monks (I think) that very carefully eat everything on their plate, then rinse their dishes, collect the water and DRINK it. It sounds horrible to me, but those monks know EXACTLY how much resources they use.

Brelansmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Yay, it's not just me! I was talking to a lady the other day... She told me about some monks (I think) that very carefully eat everything on their plate, then rinse their dishes, collect the water and DRINK it. It sounds horrible to me, but those monks know EXACTLY how much resources they use.
Okay, that is officially too far for me! :sick

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
When we were first married without a dishwasher, my husband and I shared a cup and utensils and ate right out of the pans :) Now we're a bit more civilized.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
brelansmama- I do most of those things also.

I use the same coffee or tea mug for days. I use the same water glass for a few days. I will use the water glass for milk or juice, but then it goes into the dishwasher. DH rinses his milk glass out and uses it for water. I have gotten DGD to be using the same glass over and over also.

I reuse plates if they only have crumbs.

Monica

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
When we were first married without a dishwasher, my husband and I shared a cup and utensils and ate right out of the pans :) Now we're a bit more civilized.
It's uncivilized to eat straight out of the pan???? :hu

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
That's what we do when backpacking. We also do it with the pots the food was cooked in.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
me&thegals said:
It's uncivilized to eat straight out of the pan???? :hu
As soon as I posted it, I knew I probably stepped on somebody's toes... :hide